• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

KM2 Siping

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
With the on set of winter approaching I'm considering having my KM2's siped. They worked decently last winter in the snow, but they were also brand new. I now have 15,000+ road miles on them, and want to get some more performance out of them this winter.

Has anyone had their KM2's siped? Opinions or results?

Will siping the middle lugs only provide a noticeable improvement?

IMG_0010.jpg

I got mine siped at a discount tire for $10 ea. They only did the middle of the tire also. I am in the same boat as you, hoping that makes a big difference for the winter.

No, that was the second trip out on them, still practically brand new.

After 15K though they still seem to be wearing decently though. I'm curious how they will perform this winter though (hence the siping idea).

Ashy, have you experienced any chunking since the siping? Improved wet traction?

Siping will help, Do not know how much. But it wont make it worse.

I have my MTRs siped by Discount Tire. Center 50% of the tire to 50% depth of the lugs

I never drove on them without sipping. I think it is worth it.

With the on set of winter approaching I'm considering having my KM2's siped. They worked decently last winter in the snow, but they were also brand new. I now have 15,000+ road miles on them, and want to get some more performance out of them this winter.

Has anyone had their KM2's siped? Opinions or results?

Will siping the middle lugs only provide a noticeable improvement?

IMG_0010.jpg

Man I keep telling myself that I don't need these tires, then I see photos like this. If you get them siped, post an after pic. For the price, I don't see any reason why you wouldn't sipe them. I wouldn't think that chunking would be a problem on the center lugs. Tires tend to cup when aired down so the center lugs will be less vulnerable than the outers when offroading.

No problems chunking. Been out once at the badlands with them too. I dont know if I can say if I noticed a big difference because I put new steering on about the same time they were siped.

I was more wanting it for the winter like you.

Well I had my tires siped today, center lugs only. After sliding down our driveway this morning due to hail, I decided siping would be a good idea. I can already tell the wet traction of the tires has greatly improved from the drive home.

I'm heading out tomorrow for a snow run so I'll report back with how they perform.

Well the siping definitely made a difference.

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0030.jpg

I was actually able to get them to float at 5psi. Last year I ran them at 3psi and never really could get them to stay on top. Driving in the slush and hard packed roads was also a lot more stable. I two wheeled it a good portion of the day on the hard pack.

Now I'll be curious to see how they hold up on the rocks.

As long as you avoid spinning them too much on the rocks the sipes will hold up fine. I've had about 5 or 6 sets of tires siped over the years, it always makes a huge difference in traction. Experts say it increases tread life too, as the siping dissipates heat that allows the tread to wear down faster. I've never kept the same set of tires until they wore down below about 50%, so I can't verify that claim. I do know that I tend to get a lot of life out of my tires with minimal notable tread wear for the miles I put on them.

Siping does grab really well on snow, as each sipe fills up a bit and snow grabs snow very well. It also allows the tire carcass to flex more, which would help it float better. The lack of air pressure coupled with the siping makes most mud tires really shine in the white stuff.

As long as you avoid spinning them too much on the rocks the sipes will hold up fine. I've had about 5 or 6 sets of tires siped over the years, it always makes a huge difference in traction. Experts say it increases tread life too, as the siping dissipates heat that allows the tread to wear down faster. I've never kept the same set of tires until they wore down below about 50%, so I can't verify that claim. I do know that I tend to get a lot of life out of my tires with minimal notable tread wear for the miles I put on them.

Actually, siping causes the tire to run hotter.
Now, once the sips have worn to the point that they are really opened up all the time, then they are actually groves, they will let the tire run cooler.

Siping is used in racing to heat the tire up fast and get the tire hotter.

:)
Fred

Actually, siping causes the tire to run hotter.
Now, once the sips have worn to the point that they are really opened up all the time, then they are actually groves, they will let the tire run cooler.

Siping is used in racing to heat the tire up fast and get the tire hotter.

Fred

Siping allows the tire to run cooler and grip better, Not hotter.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos

Seen this debate before ... it gets testy :D

Anyway, thanks to the OP for reminding me. Gonna get mine siped this winter if possible. I haven't heard anyone say they siped their Swampers, but I still have decent lugs and I'm always nervous driving with them in the winter, especially with the rear locked.

Seen this debate before ... it gets testy :D

Anyway, thanks to the OP for reminding me. Gonna get mine siped this winter if possible. I haven't heard anyone say they siped their Swampers, but I still have decent lugs and I'm always nervous driving with them in the winter, especially with the rear locked.

A buddy of mine grooved his TSL's with an 1/8 tire groover it seemed to help quite a bit. He drove about 50 miles a day to work and back in the winter time in SLC Utah.

Siping allows the tire to run cooler and grip better, Not hotter.
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos

As with some companies that sell rotors, and bend to marketing, claim cross drilled rotors run cooler, some tire companies are in the same boat and are a little mis-informed.
If you search any of the zillion of racing sites and racing tire manf, sites you'll find:

While the same principal works for race tires, siping also allows the tires to heat up faster by reducing the stiffness of the tread blocks. This is particularly beneficial on dry-hard/black slick or dry-slick tracks where there tends to be a lot of cautions as the tires will come back up to temperature quicker.
A tire under static load will deflect to a certain degree. A tire under a dynamic lateral load (as in going through a corner) will deflect even more. Siping a tread block increases the deflection and in turn generates more heat, consequently softening the rubber even more, thereby creating greater traction.

Anything that allows a tire to flex more, either in the tread block and/or the sidewall will build up heat faster and run hotter.
Sidewall flex (in passenger tires) is one of the major sources of heat buildup in a tire. Tires that are "under inflated" flex a lot more and build up a lot more heat and can build up heat to the point of failure, which was part of the problem with the Ford Explores and Firestone tires some years ago.

Fred

Good to know, I thought my KM2's did pretty bad in the snow and ice. I was comparing them to my old KM's with siping and those tires were awesome.

If I keep my KM2's I will for sure get them siped. Might try a different tire though.

Back