• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water Pump Manufacturers

JeffU

NAXJA Forum User
I am replacing my 150K original radiator and decided to replace the original water pump also. I purchased a Bosch but decided if the original had lasted 10 years and 150 K miles I should pay the difference for OEM quality.

I Found out some very interesting things about who actually makes replacement water pumps.

NAPA's best water pump is an Airtex ($43.00) . Bosch (sold through Pep Boys) can be either APC or Airtex same box same part # 97082 ($37.00). And direct from the dealer "Mopar" boxed is also an Airtex. (List $ 118.00 buy for $69.00)

The key in this is the same casting of the Airtex # on the housing 3412-12 .
If you compare the Mopar and Airtex side by side they are identical in all respects including all casting numbers.

Save yourself the dollars and buy the Airtex from Pep Boys.

i wonder if airtex has made the pump all along? or did jeep just sell them the rights recently? very interesting! i will say i have heard nothing but good things about airtex water pumps.

Atl XJ said:
I'd done with Autozone lifetime warranty parts. Sure, its nice to have a lifetime warranty, but if you're swapping out parts every year or two.

Also, the lifetime warranty on my alternator wasn't very comforting when I was stranded on the side of the road out in the middle of nowhere at midnight in the pooring down rain with no cellphone reception. That was the last straw for me with their crappy parts. I went through WAY too many of them. :rolleyes:

x2

CSK has given me my money back a couple of times on a starter and water pump. The first starter was a little Dodge I had, replaced the starter twice, got my money back when the second warranty one failed. Few years later got a water pump for the XJ, replaced it a year later, got my money back this year (the third time it needed one) and went OEM.

Is there a difference between the water pump on a High Output 91'+ compared to a 87-90'? Was there a change in design after 91'+? My friend needs one for a 95' that cracked and is leaking bad.

Big Red said:
Is there a difference between the water pump on a High Output 91'+ compared to a 87-90'? Was there a change in design after 91'+? My friend needs one for a 95' that cracked and is leaking bad.

I dont understand this, go to autoparts store of choice and get a pump for 95. I beleive there is a difference between renix and ho pumps though....Good Luck

Very happy w/NAPA NEW (says it on box!) Water Pump, pn for my 98 4.0 55-3412, 100% TESTED, also says that on box, limited lifetime warranty, love the fan clutch, too (no pn sorry).

As fare as waterpump go. The pump that came on your Jeep new may have very well come from Airteck. Small jobs are often farmed out from the factory, Your differential is not Jeep/Chr in most cases. Your trany is not Jeep. The 4.0 is the next generation of the AMC 258 witch AMC got the right to build from Ford Motor Company (with mandatory modification) Plus Alt/gen from everyone. The steering column on some Cherokee is made by Chevy as well as some years blower motors.
I think Chevy has made body parts. Hay what DOES Jeep make anyway:)

After looking at the box, all I can say is: NAFTA :laugh3:

BigRed you are being ignored. Do a search. I recall a thread about the newer ones haveing a different impeller design, like the flowkool for low idle flow improvement. Be careful though, there may have been casting changes in the block.

mikeny59 said:
Very happy w/NAPA NEW (says it on box!) Water Pump, pn for my 98 4.0 55-3412, 100% TESTED, also says that on box, limited lifetime warranty, love the fan clutch, too (no pn sorry).

I actually have a Napa new waterpump on the XJ. It was put on it just before I bought it. It has like 80K miles on it and its still going strong. Thats longer than the original one lasted. :D

Back