• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny swap

Andrew T

NAXJA Forum User
My aw4 is starting to act weird, and I think I'm just going to look for another tranny to swap in. This is my question... I know some grand cherokees come with a 5 spd auto. Can I swap this in instead of another aw4? What all would be involved?

Also, would this be a worthwhile swap for a trail rig? As of now this is my daily driver, but it won't be for long. Should I just keep the aw4?

Thanks,
Andrew

I'm pretty sure the ZJs (or WJs for that matter) never came with a 5 speed auto. I know there was the 46rh put in many of them, which is a tf727 (or was it a tf999?) with an overdrive. Still only a 4 speed.

The AW4 is a good tranny. I see absolutely no reason to ditch the AW4 for any other auto if you're keeping the 4.0 unless maybe you had your 4.0 stroked and supercharged.

the 5-speed auto only comes with the 4.7HO, and is a different bolt pattern.

you can either swap in another aw4 (which I HIGHLY doubt the tranny is at fault) or fix the electrocal issues which are probably causing your problems anyway.

3 things to check (87-90)

TPS
TV (kickdown) cable
tranny speed sensor

2 things to check (91+)

TPS
TV (kickdown) cable

Its still available with the 4.0 engine!

RCP Phx said:
Its still available with the 4.0 engine!

huh... learn something new everyday :-D

it'd still be a bitch to adapt the electronics, and that electronic governor pressure simulation that they use to control shifting doesn't work very well, and is unreliable (that's for ALL the chrysler made Jeep transmissions, like used in the ZJ/WJ)

run a can of Trans Tune through it. My jeep was stalling out in reverse under load for MONTHS. now it runs perfectly. It unclogs all the valves and such.

Back