• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4:56's with aussie

kmanxj5050

NAXJA Forum User
i am going to be getting some 4:56's from another naxja member. And plan on getting a aussie soon (hopefull before winter is over)

Now would the install of the aussie be the same with stock 3:55's as it is with 4:56's?

or should i wait to put the gears in until i get the aussie??

sweet thanks!!!!!

looks like i will put the gears in as soon as i get them!!!! seeing as i dont know how long it will be till i can afford the aussie

You do realize with 3.73 and higher numerical gearing you are going to need different carriers?

Regardless if you have an 8.25, a Dana 35 or a Dana 44, they will all pretty much be the same. The Aussie locker (I have one in my 8.25) replaces the spider gears. When you get 4.56s all you will replace is your ring and pinion. The spiders stay the same.

Have you ever had an axle opened up before. If you dont know how a lunchbox locker works and what it replaces in your axle, then I would say you have no business installing the gears yourself. Even seasoned mechanics who are not afraid to tear down and rebuild motors and transmissions cringe at the thought of doing gears.

If you have an 8.25, then the carriers will be the same from 3.55 to 4.56. If you have a Dana 35 you will need a different carrier. I am not sure about the Dana 44.

You do realize with 3.73 and higher numerical gearing you are going to need different carriers?

Regardless if you have an 8.25, a Dana 35 or a Dana 44, they will all pretty much be the same. The Aussie locker (I have one in my 8.25) replaces the spider gears. When you get 4.56s all you will replace is your ring and pinion. The spiders stay the same.

Have you ever had an axle opened up before. If you dont know how a lunchbox locker works and what it replaces in your axle, then I would say you have no business installing the gears yourself. Even seasoned mechanics who are not afraid to tear down and rebuild motors and transmissions cringe at the thought of doing gears.

If you have an 8.25, then the carriers will be the same from 3.55 to 4.56. If you have a Dana 35 you will need a different carrier. I am not sure about the Dana 44.

dont be too quick out of the gate CJ. you may be correct on the rear axle, but not on the front:doh:. the D30 does indeed need a new carrier goeing from 3.55 to 4.56.

Hey guys I know Kman, i'm sure he has all of the measuring devices he needs to install a set of gears. Just because he may or may not have done gears before doesn't mean he isn't capable of it. I wouldn't be scared to try and do a set of gears in my jeep. As long as you keep everything in tolerance and tighten everything up right I don't see how you can go wrong.

I'd like to do this swap as well. What carrier is needed for the D30?

Depends what axle this is going in. 4.56's and an aussie in a D35 on 33's and I can see everything going wrong.:explosion
I wasn't talking about building a rear axle that is going to explode on the first trip. :nono: I was referring to installing gears. If everything is in tolerance and kosher and buttoned up right and the gears run true.

I've seen some threads by people whose gears got all chewed up because they got hit by a gotcha inherent to the design or assembly of an 8.25 - something about the crush sleeve not seating properly, or the pinion bearings not seating properly so the preload seemed right but it slipped out when real torque was applied. I'm sure someone with more gear experience (read: any gear experience) will remember this and be able to explain it better than me.

i am not doing them by myself. I am having a guy i know that has done 100's of axles help me. I was just talking about the aussie down the road. I know the d30 needs a new carrier.

Sorry for the bagueness. It is a 8.25 29 spline

i am not doing them by myself. I am having a guy i know that has done 100's of axles help me. I was just talking about the aussie down the road. I know the d30 needs a new carrier.

Sorry for the bagueness. It is a 8.25 29 spline
I'll install a Lincoln locker for you for free in the rear. I did mine and wouldn't hesitate to do it again. It's held up to some grusome abuse.

Yeah I get minor chirping and sometimes slight axle hop around corners on pavement. Doesn't bother me one bit. But I did mine because I'ma welder and it was free. Saved me a few hundred to invest else where in the jeep, like 1 ton steering. The way I looked at it, I could weld it and get the same benefits of a locker for free, plus if i ever get sick of it i can just drop in a lunch box locker later and wouldn't be out any money.

I welded the spiders together where they touch. 8 places total. I preheated my gears to help reduce the cooling rate and welded with E7018. I was sure to put multiple passes on them. I like beef.

Back