• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P0340 code won't go away! (Long)

88xjlover

NAXJA Forum User
98 xj classic 4.0 Auto. O.K. it was running poorly for a while, every now and again stumbling. Finally tripped a code and checked it. po340. Eluded to the cam sensor so ended up replacing entire distributor (it was loose and so was going to go anyway). Cleared code drove around came back on. Replaced crank sensor and cap/rotor/wires. Running great now but code came back on next day coming home from work last night. I thought check wiring again and decided to check coil wires. After finally getting the tape back to get to about 5" of wires I noticed they were smashed together pretty good. Almost like speaker wire is. I pulled them apart and didn't notice any torn insulation but I wrapped each wire and moved the harness to the other side of the distributor to get it away from the motor. When I turned the switch to "on" to clear the code, it dissapeared itself.

Now it came back on this afternoon. Yikes!

Anyone have this experience or any other causes the P0340 may elude too?

Still running great so far.

Thanks in advance.

Back