• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8 vacuum and other questions

ASTROdog

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to get an 86 XJ with a 2.8 and a 5 speed manual transmission from my little brother. There's currently a large problem with it that in my opinion is vacuum related. He says that it's more or less fine in city, but on extended freeway travel, it gradually loses power, stuttering and stumbling at the end of the loss. He also says the gas milage is atrocious. My first thought was vacuum, and he had it checked out. They found a small leak and a few disconnected hoses, which temporarily fixed the problem, but it's back now. Also, he's removed the catalytic converter as a problem solving step (as it could have been a clogged cat) but that didn't change anything. I've done as much research as I can do at this point, and have a few questions that I'd like to ask and have people check my assumptions if they're wrong.

1) Am I on the right track with my vacuum assumption? My first plan of action if I am is to start from scratch on it and rebuild it with new hoses and components. What else should I check?

2) If I am on the right track and start with the vacuum system, are there any techniques and/or parts not covered (or covered incorrectly) in the repair manuals?

3) In doing some research, I found vague mention that you could remove a good many of the emissions "features", such as the air pump and EGR system. Is there any write ups or documentation on this? Secondly, will it tick off the system as a whole to just block the EGR off (or can you?) Emissions testing/certification/inspection is not an issue in MN, we just don't have it.

4) I've read about failure of the automatic choke on these vehicles. Could this be related to the problem with the truck? I figure it's worth the 8 bucks to replace it with a manual choke if it's even remotely possible.

I would forget the vacuum because a vacuum problem should be worse city driving.

To me it sounds like your running out of fuel, could easily be a bad/dirty filter.

Back