• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MJ shackle part number?

hubs97xj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone have a part number for the MJ shackles? Are they dealer only, or are there any aftermarket (Crown, Omix, etc) manufacturers? I'm searching, but don't see much aside from lift shackles. I see that JKS makes a HD/"boomerang" type that appears to be similar in length, but aside from that, I'm finding only stock XJ or Lift shackles.

I need some clearance between the body aft of the shackle, and the lower half of the shackle. It's beating on the sheetmetal- here's a pic of the DS, empty, and light. This is a pavement pounder with new springs, shocks, and bushings. Seems like it shouldn't be doing this. I don't really want lift, but I don't see how I can gain room for the shackle to move without adding some lift. If I'm overlooking the obvious, please point it out.

shackle3.jpg

OEM part number is 5200 1828, if that helps. You'll also probably want 4x 1150 2814 (nuts) and 4x 3420 2118 (bolts) for mounting them, unless you get lucky. That's enough nuts&bolts to replace everything you'll have to remove including the weldnuts - and if you don't end up needing them, the same bolts are used for the LCAs on the front axle as well as the leaf eye bolts.

Excellent. Lower bolts are fine- they were packed with threadlocking compound, and are now antiseized. Uppers concern me though- couldn't even budge them when I swapped the springs out. I may source the hardware locally. Bolts are 14mm x2.0 pitch, and around 4.5" long?

all of the leaf spring bolts are M14x2.0x120mm although I prefer the 110m since (a) they don't get in the way as much and (b) almost a cm of the stock hardware is non-threaded nipple on the tip of the bolt. you can see that in the pic above

Thanks, I like details. Given how poorly most of my projects start out, and the lack of access to a torch or welder, I want to have everything I might need/need to know on hand when I deal with this.

Get a torch and some holy water (err, sorry, pb blaster) and have them on hand. MAPP torch is the best, but even a ten dollar propane torch from home depot is very useful.

X2 on 110mm like ehall said - on the shackle to leaf bolts anyways, those collide with trailer hitches and I didn't feel like taking mine down. On the upper shackle bolt and the leaf eye bolt I like the non threaded portion because even with it there, I had a hell of a time getting the bolts to line up with the weldnuts. I'd imagine it's even harder without the non threaded portion.

I reversed the lower spring/shackle bolts to simplify things in the future. I learned that lesson during the spring swap. I think I just scored some MJ shackles, so I'm almost to the fun part. I'll have to try the MAPP- the blue bottle just hasn't cut it for anything but sweating copper. Thanks again guys.

Back