• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What gears are in my Dana 44?

bhicks

NAXJA Forum User
I have a dana 44 from an 89 XJ limited wagoneer 4x4. It had the V6 and not the straight 6 4.0. It came with the automatic tranny. Is this enough info to be able to know the gear ratio or do I actually have to open the pumpkin up. Did this model possibly come with a limited slip in the rear? Also I may convert the donor vehile back to being road worthy so I can sale it. I may drop a dana 35 in the rear if I can't get my asking price with the Dana 44 in the rear. Will this drop right in or am I going to have a rear driveshaft that is too long or something?

Find the Dana Bill Of Material number on it. Seven digits, starts with a 6- like 6xxxxx-x. With an automatic it should be 3.55. 89's never had a V-6.

Find the Dana Bill Of Material number on it. Seven digits, starts with a 6- like 6xxxxx-x. With an automatic it should be 3.55. 89's never had a V-6.

I thought the same thing, but I have seen the title and I have seen the eninge. I have no idea why, but somebody replaced the great 4.0 with the crapy v6. Thanks for the info on the gearing.

So I got the info on the gearing, now I need to know about a possible limited slip in the rear and the complications (if any) with swaping in a dana 35, so I can keep the d44 and sale it seperately.

You won't have a problem swapping it for a D35. I swapped a D44 into my old XJ (which came with a D35) and the driveshaft length was just fine for both axles.

As far as the limited slip goes, I would just pull the diff cover and look inside.

That's the clutches in the limited slip trying to turn the whole carrier as a unit. If the carrier doesn't try to move and the other axle goes the opposite direction, it's an open diff or a really worn out limited slip.

That's the clutches in the limited slip trying to turn the whole carrier as a unit. If the carrier doesn't try to move and the other axle goes the opposite direction, it's an open diff or a really worn out limited slip.

Thanks for the info. Now I have all the info I need.

i thought the v6's were all carb's? and only made from 84-87? you said its an 89? is is tbi then?

Back