• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newbie XJ project

XJWiki

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys newbie here. Being a first time xj owner this site has been a godsend. After doing a lot of searching I have figured out a setup that hopefully will be a good DD and a capable off-road rig.

Here goes:
  • 2000 Cherokee Sport (90 000 miles)
  • Rubicon Express 4.5’’ lift kit
  • OME long travel shocks
  • Black Rock loba Steel rims 15X8 4.5bs
  • Maxxis Big Horn 31/10.50/15
  • JCR Gas Tank Skid as well as T-case skid
  • RE SYE Kit + Drive shaft
Bumpers and rails another day.
Any advise on it would be greatly appreciated
Thank you for your time.
Wikus

make sure the cooling system of the engine is in good working order as the head is prone to cracking when overheated.

as for the lift, RE 4.5" will net you around 5" or more and is more then what you need for 31's. bumpers will lower it a bit, but consider the 3.5" superflex kit unless you plan on going larger then 31's.

SharkXJ: Yes it comes with the discos

89xj: Was actually torn between 32 and 31 but can not fine a lot of info on the pros and cons on the two be it on or off road.

SharkXJ: Yes it comes with the discos

89xj: Was actually torn between 32 and 31 but can not fine a lot of info on the pros and cons on the two be it on or off road.

pro's to a larger tire is axle clearance and larger tread contact area when aired down.

con's are loss of power because of increase tire diameter and weight and possible rubbing issues if the suspension is not set up properly

If you haven't already, I'd consider recovery points. Front factory tow hooks and factory Class III hitch (all year hitches swap) and a factory gas tank skid. All can be found here or at the junk yard. Then talk some of the money you saved on the JCR gas tank skid and get their rock sliders.

Just my opinion.

I have run 31s and 32s before. I have run 31s for the past 3 years now and have run my friends 32s before. There is a slight difference on the road but i would go with the 32s.

You will need an SYE and rear drive shaft.

You will want to re-gear your axles or fuel economy will suck bad.

I would suggest doing an advanced adapters SYE (better quality), 32" tires and 4.56 gears front/rear. Other than that, build looks good.

Would be a VERY good idea to upgrade to the rubicon express "heavy duty" trackbar, and maybe add their drop brackets which will do a lot to improve ride quality.

Back