• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1998 Cherokee No Spark, No Fuel

bigjeepman

NAXJA Forum User
1998 Cherokee 4.0 Liter AW4 130ish miles

No spark, NO fuel.

Jeep died one saturday night as I was pulling into a parking lot. I check spark using the tried and sometimes untrue method of putting plug to metal to gorund it and got no spark. So we check the CPS and it tested bad. Replaced CPS and still no spark and no fuel(lets say low fuel pressure)

Pulled codes with a code reader and the Camshaft position sensor gets the code. So we replace it. Still no spark and no fuel.

I know obvious answer may be fuel pump for the fuel problem but why no spark. Any ideas?

Check your fuses yet?

Yes we checked all the fuses with on ohmmeter and all of the tested good.

Does the fuel pump prime for 3 seconds when you first turn the key to the ON position?

If it doesn't, try swapping relays as your ASD relay may be bad/stuck.

Figured it out last night. I should try the simple things first. I took the distributor cap off and my buddy cranked the engine, rotor didn't turn. Inspecting the valves through the oil fill confirmed my suspicions. Broke timing Chain! LOVELY.

Thanks for everyones input

Hey Joe (where you goin' with that gun in your hand...) -

Is there a way to bech test a relay?

Steve

Sure.

Grab a test light and a few jumper wires.

A four pole relay, 30/85/86/87, where 86 would be 12v from IGN, 30 would be 12v batt constant, 87 would be 12v feed to accessory, and 85 would be trigger/ground.

With power to 86 and 30, test light applied to 87, ground 85 and the relay should switch power to 87.

Here is a link to diagrams of various relays and wiring: http://images.google.com/images?hl=...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBMQsAQwAA

Back