• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiring issues

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
I know...this is kind of silly to worry about, but what the heck.

When I bought the Jeep, the passenger door speaker didn't work. I thought it was blown so I bought a set of speakers from a junk yard. I installed both and still nothing. Apparently there is an issue in the wiring.

How do I go about checking what is wrong? Where would I start, the wiring harness?

Any help would be appreciated, and please, layman's terms and easy instruction. I learned a lot on my jeep just by trial and error, but the electrical stuff is not my forte.

Thanks. I appreciate it. I will enjoy listening to Merle Haggard on all 4 speakers now!!

what year jeep? factory deck or aftermarket? if its an aftermarket deck, then it may not be wired correctly. or the wires fell apart behind the radio.

zedpapa

2001 Anniversary XJ.

Has the stock CD/Cassette/AM/FM unit in it. All the stereo functions work and 3 of the 4 speakers work.

I bet if you pull the rubber bootie back from the front of the door you'll see some messed up wires. That is by far the most common trouble area for this sort of symptom.

Later Cherokees have problems with wires to the doors. The common fix for bad speaker wires is to run a fresh set of speaker wires from the inside near the door hinge to the speakers.

If you have the Infinity system, check the amp under the back seat also.

X2 on the wires...while you have your door panels off, you might want to run a few extra wires just in case your door locks stop working. Mind did last year and it was because of a broken ground wire to the door lock switches.

Seems I've got a very similar problem with my driver's side door, and I've just installed new speakers & still have the door panels off.

Also have a problem with the window controls; I can control all windows from the driver's side, but intermittently, none of the other window controls will work. I'm thinking it's the driver's side module where the window lockout button is dirty or sticking internally. Is there a way to open the module up & clean it?

If you search, you can find the easy method to bypass the window lockout that lets all the windows work again without going through the drivers switch. The splice is made at the drivers foot side panel (IIRC). Of course, then you can't lock out the windows, so it doesn't work for me. The Golden Retrievers like to open the windows (accidently, I think).

FYI - I've got a few pics up of yanking the wiring harness outta the door & where the actual wire break was found - in the green main speaker wire where it splices with the tweeter wire and goes into the main harness. The splice (thanks Jeep engineers) sits comfortably right in the boot between the door & the body, so it's flexed more than any other part of the harness. I'll show the "fix" after I solder & heat shrink it later this evening (that's the plan...).

set-72157617926981883
4125666237_860bcce01b.jpg
4126443130_ff9c1036fa.jpg

4125674293_a3e524ffa8.jpg

Go here for more: http://www.flickr.com/photos/we3pollards/4125666237/in/set-72157617926981883/

As far as the "bypass" for the window lockout, it's not really an option - I want to fix things properly and keep all the functionality, so if I can get to the heart of the problem and make it better so it won't fail again, that's what I'll do. If anyone knows how to properly repair this issue short of just buying a new switch module, I'd like to hear how - maybe a write-up with pictures?

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Wow, that's a blatantly retarded place to put a splice. Hope you put in a straight wire through the boot and spliced on both ends...

Back