• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

15" Rim vs 17"???

KJurasek

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, not sure where I picked up this information, but I am building a HP Dana 44 with Reid Racing high steer knuckles. I currently have 15" rims, but somewhere along the line I picked up that I would have to have rims larger than 15". Somewhere around 17". The only reason I could see this is the larger than stock rotors (Ford 11.25) and the high steer knuckle.

Even though I am going to be buying Allied Beadlocks, now the question comes to either 15" or 17". I have found an incredible deal from the local Goodyear for some new 33/12.5/15 tires. The 17" rim tires are a bit pricey.

If anyone has read anything about this dilemma, your input would be appreciated.

KJ
:helpme:

I would mearsue to see how well a 15" would fit and see if it does rub or touch something else. Most of those older trucks ran 16.5" wheels IIRC.

Yeah, I guess I should see how it fits when the axle is finished. This is more of a timing issue than anything else. With the XJ lifted higher, the 30" tires that I have on there now look smallish. I was going to get the new rims and tires and work on the new axle in the next few months. I guess it doesn't hurt to drive around a little longer with the funky small wheels on a lifted vehicle with cut-out wheel wells.

I didn't think the 15" would be a problem. But not sure where I read it, but it seems I will have to go larger. I have checked the Reid Racing site, all the OTK part sites and I have found nothing.

I read it somewhere.

Hmm...

I've got a '77 F150 hp44 under my Jeep running Reid Knuckles and high steer, and I've got no issues clearing my 15" beadlocks. What hp44 are you running?? 8 lug or 5 on 5.5?

I under stand the pricey rim thing. I have been running 35's for years. I would like to take a step up in size to 37's but still run the BFG AT's and love them. The only way to get some of the taller tires is to go to a 17" rim. The cost of tires and rims goes way up as soon as you get away from 15" rims. The 37" BFG's are almost $500 a tire mounted, and balanced. 5 tires and 5 rims is going to be over $3k.

OUCH!!!

You are so correct about prices once you get away from a 15" rim. But sometimes that is the only way to go. Better to find out now than to buy the 15" beadlocks and tires only to find out they will not work with the new axle. As for the question about the Reid Racing knuckles: I am going with 5 on 5.5 on a F 100 D44 axle modified to use Rubicon 44 inner axles.

You'll be fine with a 15" wheel with that setup. Knuckles out, that is exactly what I'm running: Ford dana 44 Reid racing knuckles, f150 spindles/hubs/brakes. I have an extra rotor laying around, if you'd like I'll double check the diameter tomorrow morning for you.

I appreciate it but not necessary. I have a couple of Ford rotors here. I found a deal on some on Ebay and bought them ahead of time. I will check. The only thing would be the calipers. I guess I could make a mock up or something.

Hmm....

As far as I know, the 5 on 5.5 pattern means that we'd have the same setup, in which case you are all set for sure. I really wouldn't worry about it, but if you do have all of the parts, it would only take a few minutes for you to throw some stuff together quick and see it with your own eyes :)

Good luck!!

Ok, here is a monkey. I am putting a Dana 60 in the rear with BTF disk brake mounts. Anything I should worry about on the rear? I will take a quick look.

Thanks for the help on this.

Back