• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JV Fun - License Plate

jeprovo

NAXJA Forum User
I had a lot of fun meeting up with you guys at JV. It was my first time driving a 4wd that I own. I've driven Cal's stuff a few times, but a stock XJ is a completely different animal. I had a lot of fun following Sequoia and his dad around on our impromptu "stocker run".

Biggest things learned:
I need to learn how to drive :wierd:
I need a transfer case shifter.
Air down my tires more than I'd expect. The difference in 18 psi and 15 psi for traction is surprisingly noticeable. - of course, a tire bigger than 235's would help too.
If you care about your gear staying put, you need to really tie it down.

Lying on your back to shift is a real pain in the ass.
Only carnage (that I've noticed) is a blown (leaking) front shock, and a missing license plate.
The Shock's not a big suprise, I think I bottomed out hard enough two or three times to jar the mag mount antenna off my roof.
I probably took 15,000 miles out of my clutch trying to get to the top of a hill that Sequoia finally winched me to the top of.
Unless someone managed to stumble across my license plate - letters are JMA - I'll probably just run without one until I get noticed, or maybe paint/decal the numbers with a white backing one on my front bumper. At least a painted/decaled on one won't get ripped off!

Thanks for the fun time!

JV eats another plate!!! i lost mine out there in August. it is somewhere between the lakebed and the dune. if anyone finds my CA plate out there that starts with 5LK ill give them 50$ for it :D

JV scavenger hunt :D

hey man props to you for wheeling with the big boys. i know what thats like. i wheeled a lot stock and my XJ really impressed me.

Humm... I need to get a stocker so I can learn what my rig can do... :).

I wish I could have made it out I would have maybe joined you with my YJ (my XJ is down atm).

Glad you all had fun! Was it real busy out there with other 4x4 people?

Thanks guys, It was a lot of fun. Sequoia managed to get me to a few places where I could get a feel for what the little Jeep could do.
I'd hardly call it wheeling with the big buys, mostly like wandering around in the kiddie pool! But it was a lot of fun.

I probably took 15,000 miles out of my clutch trying to get to the top of a hill that Sequoia finally winched me to the top of.

That is why people get LOW transfer case gears ;)

It would've helped a lot if I actually had shifted it into 4L - But that would have required me climbing my ass under the vehicle.

It would've helped a lot if I actually had shifted it into 4L - But that would have required me climbing my ass under the vehicle.

I guess it is priority to install now?

Drive it on over and we'll help you install it :)

Bring the leaf springs :laugh2:

I'll have to purchase a Novak first. Unless you want to help me homebrew something?

How much beer is involved?

Novak would be way easier but anything can be done.

What is wrong with a stock set up? You should have the threaded holes there but they'll be filled with sealant and need to be cleaned.

The short answer is... I don't have the parts for the stock setup.
I should have stole them from Sequoia when I was there.

Just go to the junk yard.

There is one near me.

I think if I'm going to pony up some money, I'll just go Novak. It seems to be a better solution. I'll see about dropping off your leaf springs on Saturday.

I think if I'm going to pony up some money, I'll just go Novak. It seems to be a better solution. I'll see about dropping off your leaf springs on Saturday.

ok.

Better solution is relative. You like a hole in your floor?

Novak shifter = $158
OEM shifter = $5

Yeah. Better go with the novak :doh:

Just like you did, Cracker?

;)

so many chances to use this lately, i love it

oh-snap-chart.jpg

:D

Just like you did, Cracker?

;)

Did you forget that I have a Klune doubler in there and don't have a stock set up? Did you forget the Novak was modified to work as well?

He is opting to spend $160 more to have a hole in his floor that constantly blows hot air into his cab and increases the noise in the cab when he could spend $5-10 and keep it cooler and quieter and just as functional.

His call but for a stock set up, I would save the money.

Back