• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Had to tow, did I mess something up

JoshRountree

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I had a brake cylinder rust out and brake fluid was everywhere, so I ended up getting a tow. I have the 242 transfer case, and like a dummy left my owner's manual at home. I put the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in park, and towed it by the back wheels approximately 15 miles. Do you think I messed anything up? I had to put it back in 2wd when I got it to the subdivision so I could take it on home and it seemed to do ok.

When I got back and read the owner's manual it said to only tow by the front wheels, unless you can remove the front driveshaft. I'm just wondering if I burned anything up? I'm assuming you need to tow by the front wheels since the hubs are always locked which will spin the t-case, but it's bad because the t-case oil pump isn't spinning?

Also, in the owner's manual it said that movement of the front wheels shouldn't be disabled by use of a sling b/c it will damage the t-case, can anyone explain what they're talking about.

you did it correctly. transfercase in neutral, transmission in park, key in the on position so the wheels can turn

you did it correctly. transfercase in neutral, transmission in park, key in the on position so the wheels can turn

Yeah, but I had the rear wheels on the dolly, and the front on the pavement :sad1:.

Also, the tow truck driver used the seat belt to lock the steering wheel, but I don't think that's a big issue.

Here's a link used by tow trucks for jeeps. look up by the year and model. http://www.towspec.com/vehent/vehview.aspx?Cmd=VMake%20LIKE%20%20'Jeep' As far as using the seatbelt to tie down the steering wheel thats normal if wheel lifting from the rear. if he didn't secure the steering, on the first turn the front wheels would turn all the way in one direction and your Jeep would try to pass the tow truck.

If something is messed up because of how it was towed, go after the tow company to make it right.

Last edited:
I tow my 99, 242 equiped Cherokee, four wheels down, with transfercase in nuetral, trans in park, steering column unlocked with no issues.

I don't think you did anything wrong.

FYI the reason they want you to tow it with the rear wheels turning is because the transfer case pump is connected tot he rear output shaft. So when moving it is still pumping fluid. If the rear wheels were stationary and the front wheels were spinning you could have done some damage to the transfer case. However since it was only 15 miles I doubt anything bad happened. Personally I think the tow truck driver should have known better.

For some reason I'm thinking neutral in these transfer cases may be true neutral as far as engaging the transmission is concerned- but the front and rear shafts are still locked together, unless a Tera or similar 2-low kit is installed.

If that's true, the transfer case is likely blown up.

EDIT: looks like I'm out in left field, that only applies to models with front axle disconnect, disregard

I'm confused. Why would you put the transmission in park? Wouldn't that lock the rear wheels? Wouldn't you want to put the trans in neutral? This is referring to hooking up boom of tow truck to front wheels.

For some reason I'm thinking neutral in these transfer cases may be true neutral as far as engaging the transmission is concerned-
That is correct When the transfer case is in neutral the transmission is disconnected.

but the front and rear shafts are still locked together, unless a Tera or similar 2-low kit is installed.
No, the shafts are not locked together in transfer case neutral nor in 2 high.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but after reading I'm wondering if I may have damaged my 242 t-case. I blew a rear driveshaft u-joint and pinon yoke (tab broke) and flat towed the jeep about 15-20 miles to get it home. T-case was in neutral, rear driveshaft disconnected (duh), but front shaft still connected. This means the t-case front output shaft was being turned by front tires/driveshaft.

Since that incident, I've been chasing a vibration issue that I thought was driveshaft-related...maybe t-case related?

TC in neutral, disconnect the axels from the tranny and the other axel. You ALWAYs tow with TC in neutral, Front, Rear or Flat. Steering locked unlocked, is more a natter of opinion. when towing rear high unlocking the steering prevents the locking mechanism from being damaged, but you need to secure the steering to keep the wheels from turning right or left, they need to track straight.

I'm confused. Why would you put the transmission in park? Wouldn't that lock the rear wheels? Wouldn't you want to put the trans in neutral? This is referring to hooking up boom of tow truck to front wheels.

You don't want to spin the output of the tranny without the enine running. The tranny oil pump is driven by the input shaft, so no engine running means no lube to the bearings.

That is correct When the transfer case is in neutral the transmission is disconnected.

No, the shafts are not locked together in transfer case neutral nor in 2 high.

You weren't looking at my whole post. Of course neutral disconnects the transmission, I was talking about the true neutral or lack thereof in the tcase. In the disconnect axle equipped models, the front and rear output shafts are locked together in 'neutral'.

why not put both in neutral?

You don't want parasitic drag from the transfer case turning the transmission's output shaft. The trans is only lubricated when the engine is running, so output shaft whirling away = bad.

Back