• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driver's Side Power Window Problem

Fatalfunnel

NAXJA Forum User
Okay...I've searched high and low and I can't find my particular problem described anywhere. I do (did) have the usual window lockout switch problems where the passengers couldn't operate their windows until I super speed pressed the lockout button on my side about 101,000 times. That's NOT the problem. The other day I started to lower the driver's side window and it went down about an inch and kinda stuttered and stopped at about an inch down....wth. Went back up with it and it kinda stuttered then went all the way up. That was the end of it....nothing since. Thankfully it stopped in the up position because it was raining at the time (musta forgot to bring Murphy). So now all the other windows work fine (not even having the lockout problems anymore), but the driver's side is a doornail.
Just took the panel off and checked the connections and they are good. From other threads I see people talking about strange noises before the regulator goes out. I don't recall strange noises except for maybe a slight "clicking" as the window would go up.
So...whadaya think...
Regulator
Connectors
Switch
Motor
Oil Filter
probby not the oil filter I guess, but who knows.

Oh yeah, I did notice that with the engine off, the light would dim slightly when I try to up with the window switch, but nothing when pressed down.

Can I "jump out" the connector to bypass the switch to see if the switch is the problem? Scratch that...I know I can.. the question is what is the pinout for the connector (which pins are for the driver's window switch)?

Is that enough questions for one post?

97 Cherokee Country

sounds like it's most likely going to be a dead/dying regulator motor. if i remember correctly they're around 200.00+ for a new assembly. :smsoap:

Okay, time for stupid question...Is the motor a seperate thing from the regulator, or is the motor/regulator one unit with a confusing name?

Also...keep in mind what I said about the lights dimming slightly when pressing the switch "up". I think the window is "trying" to go up, but it's already up. However, the switch does nothing when pressed down. Could the motor go bad in "one direction" (down)?

yes, it can go bad in just one direction; the motor "reverses" to go down. the lights dimming are from the load of the motor attempting to move. if you get the motor from the dealer it comes with the regulator as a unit. if you can find it aftermarket, it will likely be just the motor itself. you just drill out the rivets and bolt the new one to the regulator assembly.

What you have is two problems. A Window Regulator/Motor problem and a driver door switch problem. The Window regulator and power motor are the same thing when it comes to factory parts. The motor is a perminte magnet motor...........too menny times of slaming the door = bad motor. The drivers door switch is the master switch. Pushing the lock/unlock buttom a hole bumch cleans the terminals for a short time and will make the window move. I've taken one of these swiches apart and cleaned it and made it work untill the moisture made the connections durty again.

this happened to me 2 weeks ago, exactly the dame thing, really pissed me off, but i went on ebay, and for $50 bought a drivers door switch, and a passanger door switch being sold as a set, When i put them in, i did the wire jumper for the window lock problem, and it solved my window problems, power lock problems, and my keyless problem.

Money well spent.

David Rizor said:
Pushing the lock/unlock buttom a hole bumch cleans the terminals for a short time and will make the window move. I've taken one of these swiches apart and cleaned it and made it work untill the moisture made the connections durty again.

it's a very effective and easy fix to disassemble the switch and clean it. it's amazing how much goo, hair, dirt, etc. get in there.

Funny you should ask. I have an extra set hanging on the garage wall, have had the same question and never checked. I'll go look.....No. The difference is due to the shape of the rear door to accomidate the wheel well. Left and right are different as well.

What are my options on alternative fixes? I've read that you can just replace the motor by drilling out rivets and replacing the motor. If using this idea, what are the requirements of the replacement motor? Could I use a motor from a 96 model, or any others? Could I use a motor from a LR regulator? Could I use a motor from the right side? Sorry for so many questions, just trying to figure out what my alternatives are. There seems to be plenty of non 97 model stuff out there, but not much for my 97.

It sounds like the regulator assembly is bad. I'd get a new one. They replaced the plastic gears that commonly go bad, with metal ones. The new P/N is 55154959-AI. I paid $105 back in 09/25/03 from the dealer.. You can get one from ebay or the boneyard, but it will likely go bad soon enough..

Back