• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modifying the front suspension

Sherman_thetank

Keep it pinned!
Ok, my question is what will be the downfalls and problems i will have if i remove the upper control arm on the passenger side? the mount is in the way of my exhaust, and i need to be able to drive it before i swap all the crap out to leaf springs. I no it will change the whole geometry of it, but i dont see it making a huge difference :dunno:
Thanks.

Are you talking temporary for one or two drives, or longer?

People here have driven on 3 control arms when tacoing one (myself included) but I'd stick to 4 for as long as possible before the swap.

I drove on 3 control arms for the better part of 20 miles without realizing it. I spent the whole time going "I wonder what that funny crunching noise was... ahhh crap, there it is again when I braked. I bet I blew up my darn shocks or sway bar links again. Oh well, I'll deal with it when I get home." Got home and realized I ripped my passenger LCA bracket off the axle housing.

Not to say it's a good idea, but go easy on the skinny pedal/brakes/turning, keep it in RWD so the axle is mostly just rolling, and you should be ok.

It it would be for long, just driving around my circle a little bit to test the new motor ar tranny a little, and then it would have to go about 20miles on the highway to my new apartment, but it sounds like it shouldn't be a real big issue

If you have stock upper arms, don't do it. If you have a really beefy aftermarket arm you can weld the axle tube to the diff housing on both sides and fabricate a new upper control arm mount for the drivers frame side and you should be O.K.

If you have stock upper arms, don't do it. If you have a really beefy aftermarket arm you can weld the axle tube to the diff housing on both sides and fabricate a new upper control arm mount for the drivers frame side and you should be O.K.
So from what your saying it could twist the axle housing? I guess i can see how that could happen...hmm that puts a different spin on things

Back