• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need advice on 1988 Pioneer

jerobertson

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 1988 Pioneer with 130k. All original, intact, and excellent condition except some peeling clear coat. Zero rust, no leaks, no problems at all, just like brand new. Unfortunately it has the 2.5L engine and an AW4 automatic transmission. I know, the 2.5L is weak, but $850 was too cheap to pass up. Two questions:

1. There is a 4.0 1988 Cherokee in running condition with a bad body for sale locally for $800. Has anyone actually completed an engine swap? It looks like the motor mounts are bolt in and already have the holes for the 4.0L. I wouldn't even think about except I could have a complete donor. Any reason it wouldn't work?

2. Providing it is too much trouble to swap, what kind of lift and tires could I put on it with the 2.5L? I do not go off road too much, but would like to go to Big Bend this fall.

Just bought a 1988 Pioneer with 130k. All original, intact, and excellent condition except some peeling clear coat. Zero rust, no leaks, no problems at all, just like brand new. Unfortunately it has the 2.5L engine and an AW4 automatic transmission. I know, the 2.5L is weak, but $850 was too cheap to pass up. Two questions:

1. There is a 4.0 1988 Cherokee in running condition with a bad body for sale locally for $800. Has anyone actually completed an engine swap? It looks like the motor mounts are bolt in and already have the holes for the 4.0L. I wouldn't even think about except I could have a complete donor. Any reason it wouldn't work?

2. Providing it is too much trouble to swap, what kind of lift and tires could I put on it with the 2.5L? I do not go off road too much, but would like to go to Big Bend this fall.

Do the Motor swap and Sell the Crappy one with the 2.5

X2, do a motor swap. Also read your diff tags, you may have 4.10:1 gears (I forget if that was all 2.5L engines or only 2.5L/manual), if you do, you should be good on gearing up to 31 or 32 inch tires.

It's really great that the donor is exactly the same year, means you get a full Renix setup that should be pretty much plug and play. You'll need the ECU and wiring harness from the donor of course, but lucky you... you have it.

X2, do a motor swap. Also read your diff tags, you may have 4.10:1 gears (I forget if that was all 2.5L engines or only 2.5L/manual), if you do, you should be good on gearing up to 31 or 32 inch tires.

It's really great that the donor is exactly the same year, means you get a full Renix setup that should be pretty much plug and play. You'll need the ECU and wiring harness from the donor of course, but lucky you... you have it.

He should have 4.56s I believe. Also as far as engine swap goes why not wait until you're driving it to decide? You don't even know if you mind it or not yet. If it's just a daily driver you might not care and might want to hold out on an engine swap. If the body is nice and it's sound mechanically, why fix something that isn't broke?

Seems you're correct on the gear ratio. I stand corrected!

EDIT: not seeing a listing for 4.56 gears in my 91-93 parts catalog (don't have an 88 catalog yet), but I know little about available gear ratios so I'm still going to assume you're right

Last edited:
I'm prone to agree with "Why fix something that isn't broke?" As a dependable daily driver, I'd be more prone to invest in preventative maintenance and fluid service.

The 2.5 isn't "that bad" with stock tires. Even 235's noticably degrade performance, with anything bigger than that, performance gets pathetic real fast.

I'm out in Big Bend 4 or 5 times a year, a 2wd vehicle with clearance will get through on just about everything.

I guess that was question #2, what can I do for lift and tires with that 2.5L?

You can do anything for lift and tires you want with a 2.5 or a 4.0. . .

With a 4.0, many feel 31's are a practical limit for stock gears. I drove a 2.5 (fresh engine) 5spd with stock gears (4.11) and 31's in a TJ and it royally sucked. Overdrive wouldn't pull on the slightest grade, just down shifted to 4th and held it to the floor to maintain speed. I spent a lot of money regearing to fix it and it wasn't worth it.

If you look around Big Bend at what the locals drive, it's stock suspensions and aggressive mud terrains or all-terrains. IF you are really wanting it as a daily driver and to cover the distances you'll encounter down there, mileage is the biggest issue.

We faced the the same issue with the Toyota 4-banger truck the family keeps down there and reality is with stock tires the 4-bangers barely have enough power to pull the steep grades. .. .

You can do that swap if you have the donor rig sitting there. I did it once, it was a LOT of work. Changed the fuel tank, fuel lines, all wiring, motor mount brackets, so on and so forth. When it was done, though, the smog referee couldn't believe it wasn't factory- that's the nice thing about having a donor rig, it is!

I don't think the 4 cyls had the AW4 though, did they?

The few 2,5L's that had auto's were 3 spd autos, NOT AW4's. But yes, swapping stuff should be easy. It will fit in with no problem. But yes, the 4.10s/4.56s will be much better than the 3.55's stock (if the other XJ is an auto)

Back