• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Nov photo assignment. Night

DrMoab

NAXJA Forum User
Night or low light.

The rules are simple. You must use available light, no flashes or strobes, it must be a low light situation and it must be shot this month.

Have fun!

oo i want to play. i'm getting my first DSLR by the weekend. (nikon d60 with 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR lenses). no tripod or filters yet... i don't know what other people are shooting with on here, but what about posting what settings you used for the shot?

The last Leonid

Ever since the 2000 Leonid meteor storm I have associated meteor hunting with exploring by jeep. That year I passed the night under a sky that spewed shooting stars like raindrops. It was truly something to behold. My Cherokee took me to one of my favorite places to explore at the time, Last Chance Canyon.

This was probably the last good Leonid show in my lifetime as the earth is passing out of the stream of comet debris that spawns the shower. I set the camera up on interval timer in my backyard to catch a few but it only shot 34 out of a programmed 480 exposures. I don't know if the cold caused the malfunction, it was 28 degrees when I set it up and I was sure suffering. The camera was completely white with frost when I retrieved it but the battery indicator showed 3 bars and it worked fine.

Here's one lucky shot with a Leonid exiting the top of the frame.
orig.jpg

This is looking northeast at 3:08am. 17mm lens, ISO 800, f/2.8 @ 15 seconds. White balance set to 3450k to get rid of the ugly orange glow in the sky due to street lighting as I live smack in the middle of Albuquerque.

CRW_8257.jpg

Wasn't lucky enough to catch a Leonid, this is my favorite from the night. Always liked Orion. Quality isn't as great being uploaded as usual.

Another astronomy photo. It is quite common to see the International Space Station flying over near dawn and dusk. This is the ISS following the space shuttle Atlantis, which had undocked earlier in the day. Below them is an airliner. There won't be many more opportunities to see the shuttle as its retirement is near. This was Wednesday night, they flew directly overhead Thursday night too.
orig.jpg

70mm, 10 seconds @ f/3.5, ISO 400

Snapped some tonight, did the best I could with the equipment (Canon PS A720 IS), extended exposure, aperature, etc. Got a few I like. Any tips for cleaning up noise? I didn't have all night and it was chilly so the exposures were a little hit or miss.

i went out on thanksgiving night with my girlfriend's older brother to the docks in wolfeboro center. will be uploading tonight. gotta take care of a few jpg artifacts.

what it looks like in the daytime:
DSC_0373small.jpg

this was around 1" - 2.5" exposure time, zoom was around 30mm, fstop at 4ish, iso 400
DSC_0214small.jpg

this was a 30 second exposure time, no tripod, fstop 3.5, iso 400, 18mm zoom.
DSC_0215small.jpg

to the naked eye, it looked more like the one below
DSC_0188small.jpg

Nice! I didn't have a harbor, I realized that the assn. would be closing soon and I had a clear night in Bloomington, MN, and really only one good poseable object to shoot. This is what I came up with
IMG_1030.jpg

IMG_1026.jpg

IMG_1036.jpg

Still finally learning the extended exposure stuff. Wanted to do it ages ago but finally started playing around.

thanks, i had someone teaching me the ropes a bit, but it's a lot of trial and error. i'd say i took 50+ pics. if you noticed, i only posted 2 (that i was happy enough with to share). there were a handful more that came out ok, but stuff like the focus was a tad off or one thing was over-exposed. yadayada

Winter must be coming if Orion is here! Have you ever taken a close look at his belt? There is a naked eye nebula there. This is a crappy pic from last winter:

The Horsehead Nebula right around his sword right? People never believe me when I tell them you can see it. Better not to look directly at it and it's easier to see.

Yeah, ^ I'm digging that too ^. How in the hell can you get a 30 sec. expoure like that without a tripod?

Back