• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lock out assembly stuck in 44 hub...help

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well today i went to grease the bearings in my front 44. left side went fine with no problems at all.

moved over to the right side, and it was a problem.

over the summer i had an inner bearing seize to the spindle preventing me from being able to pull the hub. the only option was to cut off the outer hub assembly and cut the bearing off the spindle. i was fortunate enough that advance had a new hub assembly in stock.

fast forward to now. hub is absolutely packed with grease. i wasn't having another bearing seizure, so i went pretty crazy with some some waterproof belray grease for everything. heres a link to help explain whats going on

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=58134

if you look at the fifth picture down thats exactly what im trying to do. and it is not budging what so ever. same method pulled the left side out fine.

now im not sure, if the cheap advance hub might have had softer splines and caused the lock out assembly to "twist" itself to become stuck or what.

im seriously doubting its a rust issue, because i avoid mud, and its very liberally greased.

any suggestions how to get this bad boy out. ive got a free inner warn assembly at a friends house i can use if it comes down to having to sawzall it out, but im looking for better options at this point

thanks

You're 100% sure the outer snap ring was removed, right? Wheel on the ground or in the air? If it's on the ground, jack it up and rotate the wheel a bit each way to free up any binding. I had the same problem installing lockouts on my FSJ until I got the tire in the air.

What kind of hub did you get from Advance? Do you mean rotor?

yup...was very sure that everything was removed. it was on the ground, but im not sure if that makes a difference really. its not really supposed to see any weight on it

i should have mentioned in the original post that this is my 2nd attempt at trying to get it off

with that said, when i tried it a few weeks ago, it was for sure in the garage with the tire off, and it was sitting on jack stands

put 2 bolts on opposite sides

and some pliers or vice grips on each bolt

and pull/pry each side with even pressure

I didn't notice where you are from, but too much grease makes things bad when it gets cold. The hubs won't lock/unlock. They warn you in the manual.

ive tried the method of pulling from the bolts. a few times now actually....it isn't happening at all. when i say stuck, i dont mean i just cant get my hand in there to pull it out. i mean ive given it all i can to pull it out by the bolts and it isn't budging

one recomendation on pirate was pretty good. im going to leave the c-clip, and outer ring clip off, and put the dial back onto the hub, and put the bolts back in. then take some chanel locks and try to pull it out by the dial

ive tried the method of pulling from the bolts. a few times now actually....it isn't happening at all. when i say stuck, i dont mean i just cant get my hand in there to pull it out. i mean ive given it all i can to pull it out by the bolts and it isn't budging

one recomendation on pirate was pretty good. im going to leave the c-clip, and outer ring clip off, and put the dial back onto the hub, and put the bolts back in. then take some chanel locks and try to pull it out by the dial

I would think you would want the c clip and outer ring off. Brainstorming off that idea. Maybe a piece of scrap metal drilled for the lock out bolts with one eye bolt in the center and a slide hammer? A piece of paper/cardboard and a drill and you could make that pretty quick if it came to it.

Back