• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lower control arm skid(cheap)

just weld a piece of metal across the front, works good.

That's what I'm probably going to do.I would like the upper portion of the skid to be welded to the bottom of the axle,to give it strength and totally box the control arm mount in.....will I have to preheat the axle tube to weld this area?I've heard that it's necessary to preheat cast iron to 450* before welding.Can someone confirm?
Anyone have any pics of their homemade lower ca skids?

the axle tube isn't cast iron. it would be a good idea to weld it to the tube too.

I went with the JKS mini skids, worth the investment in my opinion. The price on the ones in the link you provided look kinda thin. Do you know the thickness? if it's not at least 3/16" don't get them.

"If you haven’t already bent your control arm brackets, it is just a matter of time."
That write up makes it sound like everyone in the world bends their control arm brackets. I doubt that these would have done anything to save my control arm bracket when I bent mine. Just a really bad angle was responsible for my bracket.

I put mine on there to protect the control arms not the brackets but they sure do solid things up.

adamusmc2002 said:
I've bent mine, and they still work fine. The skid would be nice, but why fix something that's not broken?
its just a matter of time

dsc02443mi7.jpg

yep, and the mounts rip off because they only weld the outside and not all the way around. Everyone should weld the inside and join all the welds. see my writeup www.members.shaw.ca/mcghee.kevin/weak_links.htm

You know that those ones from currie are eactly the same as what I did but it cost me $4 vs. $24 plus shipping. Its really no work at all... u just neet a grinder and cutoff wheel and $4 of bar steel and u get what they are selling. Just my 2 cents.

Back