• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire width question

teevexj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 3" lift and I'm going to cut the fenders for 33's, but my question is how wide of a tire should I get? It is a daily driver and I'm planning on putting in 4.56 gears with some lunchbox lockers, but I want something that will work good for on road driving.
I was looking at TSL or Thornbirds in a 10.5 wide, would 11.5 work better? I don't do alot of rock crawling up here in BC Canada but there is quite a bit of mud and snow to be had during the fall/winter/spring.
What is everyones opinion on these tires and some suggestions for other good tires for this kind of weather.

Thornbirds anyone on here will tell you to stay away from. 33's usually come in a 12.50 width so you would probably need to get new wheels with a lower backspacing like around 3" to maintain close to factory steering radius. As far as tire recommendations they will vary greatly on here but the most common are maxxis buckshots, maxxis bighorns, bfg KM2's, are all easy to balance where as the super swamper brand has a notorious reputation for being difficult to properly balance and have such a soft rubber compound wear very fast on the road.

So it would be good to go for a new wheel as well like some rock crawlers or something. I would prefer a less wide tire because of fender flare issues, but if 12.5 is basically the only one I can get I'll have to figure that out...Bushwackers here i come!

I found KM2's in a 33x10.5 would that be alright on a stock 5-star?

Last edited:
So it would be good to go for a new wheel as well like some rock crawlers or something. I would prefer a less wide tire because of fender flare issues, but if 12.5 is basically the only one I can get I'll have to figure that out...Bushwackers here i come!

I found KM2's in a 33x10.5 would that be alright on a stock 5-star?

Those will fit perfect on a stock wheel, and that is what I plan on putting on mine when funding allows.
You will probably want to put some 1.25 wheel spacersa on to keep the tires off of the LCA's at full lock, however, as well as keeping the rear from rubbing on the inside wheel well at flex.

Nick

I will probly get the spacers then cause even right now with 30x9.5 they rub on the LCA slightly, I've noticed some wear. I will be cutting the fenders and putting on some flares regardless cause when funding allows I'll be going with 35's and a bigger lift so I'm preparing for that as well.

I have 32-14.50's on mine with a 3 inch lift...im looking to go even bigger now..remember that the 33-12.50 thornbirds are really 32-14.50...they ride rough as hell too!

If I were to go 11.5 what size wheel spacer would I need, or if it would be better with new rims what kind of backspacing for that size tire? I'm getting quotes today so I'll check with rims too how much it'll be.

[FONT=&quot]My 01 XJ has 10.50 X 33 KOs on the stock 7 X 15 alloy rims with 1 1/4" spacers (4" effective offset) and a 4" lift.
The fenders and flares required a bit of trimming as well as the inner fenders that needed a little massaging with a BFH.
I got a small amount of rubbing on the LCA that was cured with a washer under each steering stop. The washers do not noticeably reduce the steering radius.
Even better is the front end's 5 1/2" of up-travel and 4 1/2" down, running 5150s with lowered bottom shock mounts in the front.
The 10.50s tuck nicely.
A 12.50 tire would still rub and would also require an 8" rim, according to the tire chart from Tire Rack and maybe less offset.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Spec.jsp?make=BFGoodrich&model=All-Terrain+T/A+KO&tirePageLocQty=[/FONT]

This is my truck so far with the 3" lift and 30" BFG AT's

IMG_2484.jpg

Do you think those wheels would look fine with the 33's?

^ lol who cares what they "look" like
you can run a 10.5 wide tire on stockers no problem, but you will rub the front lower control arms, and a 33" isnt gonna happen with only 3"s without really basterdizing that truck up

^ lol who cares what they "look" like
you can run a 10.5 wide tire on stockers no problem, but you will rub the front lower control arms, and a 33" isnt gonna happen with only 3"s without really basterdizing that truck up

10.5's won't rub with spacers and you can get 33's on it wit 3" without making it look terrible!

10.5's won't rub with spacers and you can get 33's on it wit 3" without making it look terrible!

I'm planning on cutting the fenders, but as for flares I wanted something with a pocket like the Bushwacker but without the look of all the bolts showing.
Anyone have any good ideas?

I'm planning on cutting the fenders, but as for flares I wanted something with a pocket like the Bushwacker but without the look of all the bolts showing.
Anyone have any good ideas?

If you wheel it i wouldn't go with bushwhackers for sure! Maybe TJ flares?

So could I put my 32" 11.5" 15" bf goodrich all terrains on my stock wheels with spacers to keep from rubbing? I really like the stock wheels. And whats a "safe" brand and size for the spacers? I've heard th cheap kind arn't too safe.
aly01512u.jpg

I was looking around and Spidertrax seems to make a good set, havn't looked into the H&R yet but I'm going to...
And I heard TJ flares are good so I'll look into the install threads for those.

I'm running 32x11.5 BFG MTs on stock rims without too much of an issue. I can't peg the wheel without them rubbing on the LCAs, but that's expected. The biggest issue is that they are extremely close to rubbing the sidewalls on my leaf spring clamps in the back.

I'm probably getting rims with about 1.5-2" less backspacing soon, since I'm swapping for a ford 8.8 which is narrower than an XJ axle.

I eventually want to do the ford 8.8 but that won't be until a few years from now when I can get a different rig for a DD. But it's definitely something I am looking into.

Back