• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how many airsoft pellets to buy for 31's?

muddeprived

NAXJA Forum User
I'm gonna throw airsoft pellets into my 31x11.5 super swamper ltb's. I'm not sure how much to buy. I heard to use a red plastic beer cup filled to the top but how many bb's fit in that cup? Should I get 5k, 6k, 10k?

Let me know what you guys used.

Thanks!

I've never heard of this. Based on the link, it helps to balance the tire. Are there any other benefits?

No weights to throw off while wheeling. The tire will always be in balance no matter how odd or uneven the tread wear is. It works, Ive been running my tires like this for 4 or 5 years.

I've never heard of this. Based on the link, it helps to balance the tire. Are there any other benefits?

They re-balance the tire everytime you go from a stop. You will never have to balance you tires again and since they are perfectly balanced, you get longer tread life and a better wearing tire.

so you weighed them? What size tire do you have and what size container did you buy for your four tires?

I have them in everything in the driveway except the new Commander and the 08 Wrangler, all of the XJ's (from stock to 35's) have them. We have 5 XJ's. I always buy the large container and weigh them at work on the postal scales, place them in zip lock baggies after weighing them so they are easier to carry to the tire store where I get them put in at.

The large container will do 8 or so stock tires and about 6 big tires.

I have them in everything in the driveway except the new Commander and the 08 Wrangler, all of the XJ's (from stock to 35's) have them. We have 5 XJ's. I always buy the large container and weigh them at work on the postal scales, place them in zip lock baggies after weighing them so they are easier to carry to the tire store where I get them put in at.

The large container will do 8 or so stock tires and about 6 big tires.

Cool thanks for the info. I'll get a large container then. $20 won't hurt much.

This sounds awsome... Do these make noise in the tire? When you come to a stop or anything?

yeah a little bit. also when driving slow they rattle around some. nothing crazy though

there are a few different weights of the bbs, though... keep that in mind. I used 2000ct bottles of .25g bbs. That's roughly 17.6 ounces. But the most common bbs are only .08g each so 2000 of those would only be 5.6 ounces.

The chart says to use 6oz for each tire, but given that Swampers require a lot more weight than normal, I'd recommend 8oz if you're using a factory or alloy wheel and 10oz if you're using cheap steel wheels. Better safe than sorry is my thought. The cool thing about using bbs for balancing is that you can use too much weight without problems. The extra bbs will just spread out as needed.

There will be a little noise when you slow down to around 1-2mph and the bbs lose the centrivical force holding them in place. Sounds kinda like a hole in the tire at first, but a little plastic-y sound. PSSSSS. You won't even notice it after a few weeks unless the windows are open.

there are a few different weights of the bbs, though... keep that in mind. I used 2000ct bottles of .25g bbs. That's roughly 17.6 ounces. But the most common bbs are only .08g each so 2000 of those would only be 5.6 ounces.

The chart says to use 6oz for each tire, but given that Swampers require a lot more weight than normal, I'd recommend 8oz if you're using a factory or alloy wheel and 10oz if you're using cheap steel wheels. Better safe than sorry is my thought. The cool thing about using bbs for balancing is that you can use too much weight without problems. The extra bbs will just spread out as needed.

There will be a little noise when you slow down to around 1-2mph and the bbs lose the centrivical force holding them in place. Sounds kinda like a hole in the tire at first, but a little plastic-y sound. PSSSSS. You won't even notice it after a few weeks unless the windows are open.

Ok let me see if I got this right:

there's a container of 10,000 bb's at 12 grams (it says "12 grams" but I guess they mean .12 grams)

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8031621

.12 x 10,000 = 1200 grams

1200 grams = 42 oz of bb's in that container of 10k

Is that right?

That should be enough for four 31x11.5 swampers on crager soft-8's.

yeah, go for it. divide it up into 4 plastic baggies and have the tire shop dump them in before they set the bead. :) Most tire shops near me will even charge less for the mounting since they don't have to spend any labor time on the balance machine.

yeah, go for it. divide it up into 4 plastic baggies and have the tire shop dump them in before they set the bead. :) Most tire shops near me will even charge less for the mounting since they don't have to spend any labor time on the balance machine.

Yeah I did this before with dynabeads. I got one side of the tire bead off the wheel and poured in the beads (off road beads, not regular) and then took em to wal-fart and they remounted it at no charge. It was a 10 min job.

Just from some one who played airsoft once in his life... These BBs come in two main densities, some are .12 weight, others are .20 weight. Thats a big difference so be sure to look into that when purchasing.

Just from some one who played airsoft once in his life... These BBs come in two main densities, some are .12 weight, others are .20 weight. Thats a big difference so be sure to look into that when purchasing.

yeah i noticed .12 and .20 are the norm. Dick's sells .25g pellets too but a little more money.

10,000 at .12 is perfect for four tires.

Pretty sure I ended up using 12,000 of the .12's in my 33's. I didnt like em much, and it wasnt as good as with the weight, but the damn tires are square anyway. freeking intercos....

~James

Back