• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

#16a Saddle Up - News and Updates

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I figured I would start a thread where we can discuss ideas, work parties, and updates regarding our south end adopted trail Saddle Up at TSF.

11/07/09
I checked up on the trail today to see how it was coping with the mass amounts of rain we've been having. The first water bar at the East entrance wasn't draining, and was actually trickling into the road. I suspected this might happen during the review, and dug it out best I could today. The other water bars all seemed to be doing there job in directing the run off away from the trail. A few sediment pools were pretty full, so I went ahead and trenched them out.

The only potential problem I saw was on the moderate flat sections. There are some massive puddles/ponds in the trail. The problem is that they're the lowest point within a good 50 ft radius, so all the water just collects in the trail.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

I'm not too worried about them since they have a solid base (not bottomless). Maybe we could take a look at them during the next run and see what's changed. Jahmaal said this was to be expected from this part, and to not worry about them unless it's evident people are avoiding them.

That's the latest.

Awesome!

Do you know when we can put in on order for rocks/stumps/or trees to channel traffic through the holes before a bypass is made? Thanks for taking the helm on the TSF trail adoption Dustin.

Do you know when we can put in on order for rocks/stumps/or trees to channel traffic through the holes before a bypass is made? Thanks for taking the helm on the TSF trail adoption Dustin.

Good call, dumping a significant pile of 6-10" rock would help prevent the bottom from being dug out, as well as keep rigs out of the water. Standing water on the trail = bad.

If the trail needs work, we can certainly work with ODF at anytime to get it done. I'm not sure how long the paperwork process would take to get the machines/material out there. The question now is does this area need to be addressed?

In some ways I think it's fine for the moment. It really is only a problem during heavy rain. This same exact thing happened last year, so it's nothing new. Yet, like Doug said standing water can can lead to bigger problems.

Some logs laid along the sides of the first puddle could be an easy solution to keep from widening the area. However, bikes are usually first to go around a puddle. The way it sits now a bike can still pick a clean line through it and not have to go completely around it if logs were there.

The second puddle is along an old road crossing where there's hardly a ditch anymore. The best solution would be a having a culvert put in, and a new ditch dug.

We'll take another look during the Thanksgiving run and see what other options what else we can come up with.

We were up there Thanksgiving weekend and ran the trail. It honestly looks like it's in good shape considering the amount of rain its seen in the past couple months. The flat sections had some puddles, but they looked just as they did when I saw them last so they're not expanding. There was snow on part of it, and I'm sure there is more on it's way. I think we should let it be until spring comes and let winter run its course. Probably some time around April we'll do a work party with ODF, and get it ready for summer.

If anyone sees an issue with the trail (fallen tree, poor drainage, etc) please post up and let us know. Even if you run the trail and see nothing wrong, post up anyways. It helps to get updates in between runs.

Hopefully we'll get our NAXJA NWC signs posted soon.

I know it might sound kinda funny to some but I myself am looking forward to doing a work party on the trail. Just think it will be cool to put some time in on something that provides us with so much fun.

We were up there Thanksgiving weekend and ran the trail. It honestly looks like it's in good shape considering the amount of rain its seen in the past couple months. The flat sections had some puddles, but they looked just as they did when I saw them last so they're not expanding. There was snow on part of it, and I'm sure there is more on it's way. I think we should let it be until spring comes and let winter run its course. Probably some time around April we'll do a work party with ODF, and get it ready for summer.

If anyone sees an issue with the trail (fallen tree, poor drainage, etc) please post up and let us know. Even if you run the trail and see nothing wrong, post up anyways. It helps to get updates in between runs.

Hopefully we'll get our NAXJA NWC signs posted soon.

When do you think we could start adding some fun to the trail. Some misc rocks, and obstacles would be nice. Especially on the boring bottom part.

When do you think we could start adding some fun to the trail. Some misc rocks, and obstacles would be nice. Especially on the boring bottom part.
I have to agree always good to change things up.

I think we should brainstorm as much as possible between now and spring. Obviousley nothing is going to happen when it is socked in with snow. So lets be prepared when the snow melts and have lots of ideas on the table to present to ODF.

We did here through the vine though that there are some funding issues with ODF that could present a slight problem or delay. The materials are there, but we may need to also start thinking about fundraiser ideas to pay for a bull dozer / dump truck for example.

food for thought....

One thing we need to do is map the existing trail, so we have a baseline for future improvements. It's going to be very tough to come up with enough money to fund heavy equipment up there though. We may have the cash to pay for one day of use, but not much more. But I don't have much idea as to what the rental costs would be. Unless we have a member with heavy equipment, a dump truck, and a burning desire to build trails.

I've got access to a light-medium duty tractor. Its not terribly big but then again, you can't get anything terribly big back in there. I think we'd need to rent a trailer for it though. Just a thought...

I've got access to a light-medium duty tractor. Its not terribly big but then again, you can't get anything terribly big back in there. I think we'd need to rent a trailer for it though. Just a thought...

this kind of stuff is exactly what we need. a few guys with a connection here and there, some time to coordinate everything, and maybe some funds to throw there way to make it worth there while and Voila ! we gots us a work party
:party:

but first we need some ideas and a plan. can't put the cart before the horses...

Like Ken said starting out with a solid map of the trail and maybe a lil brainstorming. hmmmm.... i smell a Meet & Greet in our future.

Back