• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel hub bearings question

Hmebuildr

NAXJA Forum User
What issues would you expect if you were to run composite hubs with cast rotors??

My 99 was made in 01/99 I expected that it would have composite rotors and I bought a pair of hubs from the Chrysler dealer a couple of weeks back for less then the cost of a new one. After taking apart the drivers side I find that I have cast rotors. Short of changing the rotors would it hurt anything to install the hub with cast rotors?

No, don't do it The rotors and calipers will not be aligned and you'll get a lot of grinding, if it even moves at all.

No mix and match, but before you go too far, measure them. If your current cast rotors are aftermarket, they could easily be dimensioned the same as composites. Rotors get really really confusing once you step away from the originals, because many non-oem replacements are cast in all sizes.

So make sure you measure the hubs against each other before deciding.

Now, what I don't know, but perhaps someone else does, is whether, if you find you have the wrong hubs, you could get a set of "wrong" rotors to go with them, or whether the knuckles themselves changed.

Ok heres the deal the Jeep was made in 01/99 it should have Composite rotors and hubs but I pulled Cast hubs out of it. Being that Jeep changed hubs mid year the hubs at some time may have been replaced who knows. The drivers side was shot it had to go so they were getting replaced no matter what.

The rotors are another matter they are likely after market other then some rust there is little wear they measure right between cast and composite but have a rounded edge like composite.

Everything bolted together easy with zero issues tires spin with no effort and driving there is no noise coming from them at all.

Go figure

If you look at NAPAOnline, they are really good at listing dimentions.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Rotor (it says "full cast replacement", but it has the dimentions of the composite/OEM rotor)

Height: 3.19"

2000 Jeep Cherokee Rotor (Cast, same as stock)

Height: 3.06"

Make sure, as was said, that you match the rotor with the proper hub. The knuckles should all be the same.

Back