• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seat Swap Thread (Yes I searched)

CherBear

NAXJA Forum User
Lets face it, XJ seats arent the best thing you have ever sat in, and I know that the seats out of other Jeeps will fit into our humble Cherokees.

So who here has done a swap with ZJ or WJ seats?

What hardware do you need? (seat brackets or no?)

Any information on wiring up electric seats?

JY cost?

XJ, TJ, ZJ and WJ seats have all the same mount points, and will fit all of the bases. The ZJ electric base is taller than the stock XJ base, and does not bolt in. If you swap an electric seat onto the manual XJ base you will lose the electric front/back and up/down movement of the base, but will retain the heater element, electric seat back and electric lumbar if you hook up the wires.

Here are 98 5.9 ZJ seats in my 98 5.9 TJ. :) A little plastic trimming is needed on the TJ/XJ to clear the lower seat retracor.

original.jpg

XJ, TJ, ZJ and WJ seats have all the same mount points, and will fit all of the bases. The ZJ electric base is taller than the stock XJ base, and does not bolt in. If you swap an electric seat onto the manual XJ base you will lose the electric front/back and up/down movement of the base, but will retain the heater element, electric seat back and electric lumbar if you hook up the wires.

Here are 98 5.9 ZJ seats in my 98 5.9 TJ. :) A little plastic trimming is needed on the TJ/XJ to clear the lower seat retracor.

Assuming the XJ is 95 or newer.

For any older ones you'll have to fab some brackets, or buy aftermarket adapters/brackets from someone like Corbeau.

As for wiring them up, you connect the red wire to a 12V source, and ground the black wire. Junkyard prices depend on the junkyard.

The compatibility/hardware required/brackets/fab is covered in most of the other threads.

As for pricing, all power seats go for 25 bucks at my local JY. Seem like a good deal? or should I check craigslist?

The PicAParts and such typically have much better pricing than forums. I got my ZJ buckets for 80 on here. I've seen guys asking 200 for broken seats, 500 for sets, and guys actually selling complete sets for 200-250. Good luck finding decent leather at the junkyard- and if you do, post up. I still need rears.

edit- I've only been interested in leather thus far, so that's what I've paid attention to. Cloth should be cheaper, but I've not yet found a full set.

Last edited:
I got mine for $60 off craigslist.

IM002471.jpg

I am really looking for leather. So if anybody in the area finds some at a JY, dont hesitate to contact me....

I'm waiting on some leather WJ seats to swap into mine.

I run Honda prelude seats.... Got them for 30bucks. Most comfortable seats ever!

My local pull-a-part wants 30-50 for any seat afaik.

Look around for seats. I found a set of seats (front & rear), carpet, center console, sun visors, and some other odds & ends from a nearly mint 2000 XJ for $150 off of a guy on CL.

Either hit the bone yards or look for people that are parting Jeeps in your area on CL.

I know its not PC but my driver seat developed brokeback illness. Got a PERFECT set of seats from a totaled '06 sport-trac that only had 13k on it.
Gonna try an fab em to the factory mounts. Wish me luck!!!!

Last edited:
Back