• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ected up front?

CameronB

NAXJA Forum User
So I can probably buy a d30 w/4.88s, Ected locker, High Steer knuckle, and outer axle tube seals for around $500, which seems like quite a deal to me.

Installing a 8.8 now with lockrite, 4.88 gears, and recently rebuilt my 242 w/SYE from Tom Woods.

Question: I love the 242 w/full time 4wd, but am unsure as to how this Ected will behave up front while unlocked (acting as a LS..) I'm in WA and drive a lot of roads in 4wd with patchy ice/snow..

What do you think?

I would imagine it's fine, but I really can't say how it will do in snow for lack of experience. I have the ected up front, but I'm in FL. I don't notice it all when it's disengaged as far as the LS goes. So far I'm happy with it.

Don't buy this locker, it is still a limited slip when it engages, just a stiffer one. My friend has it in the front of his TJ and curses it everytime he wheels because it won't lock up on the rocks or on even some easier terrain. If you want a real selectable locker get an ARB, OX, or E locker

Don't buy this locker, it is still a limited slip when it engages, just a stiffer one. My friend has it in the front of his TJ and curses it everytime he wheels because it won't lock up on the rocks or on even some easier terrain. If you want a real selectable locker get an ARB, OX, or E locker

I thought an ECTED was a locker when engaged and LS when not engaged.

it technically still is a LS when engaged. But it is damn near being a full-out locker. I forget what the specs are, but it takes a hell of a lot of torque before it will slip when engaged. I've been running mine for a little bit through mud, hills, and rocks and my buddy with a tj has one as well in the front and we've had no issues at all with it slipping when engaged.

I think it might be a positive that it is still a LS when engaged if you are running stock axles. It might save you from snapping an axle if things get too crazy. Just theorizing on that one, not from experience.

So I can probably buy a d30 w/4.88s, Ected locker, High Steer knuckle, and outer axle tube seals for around $500, which seems like quite a deal to me.

Installing a 8.8 now with lockrite, 4.88 gears, and recently rebuilt my 242 w/SYE from Tom Woods.

Question: I love the 242 w/full time 4wd, but am unsure as to how this Ected will behave up front while unlocked (acting as a LS..) I'm in WA and drive a lot of roads in 4wd with patchy ice/snow..

What do you think?
If you were buying the ECTED new, I would strongly advise against it; but for the price, and especially since it's already installed & you seem capable of working on stuff yourself, go for it. I speak from experience of use ... it locks up fine, hauls you over rocks like it's supposed to, unlocks when it feels like it (sometimes not at all) and will end up being a huge pain.
Three of them in about a year (all of which I PAID to have installed), and I'd say I'm qualified to offer my opinion ...
Good luck.

Thanks all...

Well I just got home with it in the back of my truck... 600 bucks.. The Teraflex HS Knuckle is apx 400 alone, so I think I did ok. Gonna be running it by thursday, and off on a road trip to NE Montana Fri night! A friend is installing my 4.88s in my 8.8 tomorrow, to match, w/powertrax locker. Wish I could afford an Ected in the rear too, but maybe down the road.
Has 297 shafts, the LCAs have been beefed up, and there's a custom trackbar mount just above the axle tube, inboard of the coil bucket... (makes for a short track bar..) May have to raise that mount up some to get proper geometry with the High Steer set up... Super beefy custom track bar was included, heim ends.

Hope to get a pic up here when complete ;)

I have one up front, but mine hasn't seen the snow that much. I have had it in the snow a few times and had no issues. I debated on it for a while, aftering doing a lot of reading I got it. Had it installed buy a well recommended installer from here. I really like mine and have had it for a year now. It has worked well. My only complaint is that is sometimes doesn't unlock right away. Works well for me.

Back