• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 shafts

akram

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so until i can get all my parts for the next axle swap a buddy hooked me up with a set of one piece D30 shafts from a ZJ. My disconnect is long gone and the other fixes quit working as well. So after running all over town finding the right seals and such I started this last night. Went to put the shafts in and it was a no go. The shafts wouldn't go all the way in. They are actually longer, both sides not just the long side. I thought maybe the spline section was different but no they are the same. it's the overall length. The shafts are ABS shafts, wonder if this makes a difference? Now I have the XJ disabled in the wife's parking spot in the garage in freezing temps unable to move. I could put the other shafts back in to move it but would have to take out the brand new seals I just put in so the old shafts would fit and really don't want to do that. Anybody got any ideas? Anybody got a set of non abs shafts they could measure to compare? I haven't measured these yet but will. I have no pics as I can't upload any pics with my phone internet.

I really didn't want to do this fix as I just wanted to wait and swap in my other axles but I have a run I have to trailboss coming up soon and my DD is giving me issues so I need to get this thing back to driveable so I can work on my car.

Thanks
Mel

Please include Model Years, etc...

Generally speaking... If I recall correctly... on the XJ there are 2 maybe 3 hub assemblys. When you upgrade to the new style shafts, you must use the newer unit bearing.

Ron

XJ is a 91. Axle is a HP 30 disconnect. I'm not sure the year on the ZJ one piece shafts but I think his was a 95.

Are the knuckle different too? The shaft actually sticks out pas the knuckle far enough that the bearing wont come close to bolting up. Thanks for the info. Wish I could get pics up to show you what I mean.

Mel

Well I got hooked up with a whole TJ D30 from a buddy. I just pulled the shafts and bearings and everything went together just fine, no leaks and it all works great except for the ARb not engaging for some reason. I even used the calipers as mine have been having issues but now the front brakes are locked up, have to get that figured out now.

Just for clarification, the axle shafts should fit with either style of unit hubs.

IDKN why the ZJ shafts didn't fit, they should.

D30 hubs, rotors, calipers, and axle shafts are interchangeable (1990-2001), and HP vs. LP, and ABS or non ABS. You just need to have the rotor type, match the hub type, cast vs. composite. If the hubs and rotors don't match, the brakes will bind up when you install the tires. The Jeep may not move at all with the brakes binding.

Or, just swap the hubs and rotors as a matched set. The calipers don't matter, cast vs. composite or HP vs. LP.

Three different unit hub/bearing assemblies and disk brake rotor types were used over the years on XJ D30's. The unit hub/bearing are the same part number for both sides of the vehicle. The model years for hub/bearing assemblies were:

1) 1984 through 1989 (early type brake rotors/calipers and roller bearing hubs)

2) 1990 through 1999.5 (composite brake rotors)

3) 1999.5 through 2001 (cast brake rotors).

Two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right side knuckles have different part numbers.

Two types of brake caliper designs were used: 1984 to 1989 and 1990 to 2001. Left and right sides are different part numbers.

2000 and 2001 XJ D30 are Low Pinion axles like the Wranglers.

** You need to match the disk brake rotor type and measurements to the unit bearing/hub type and measurements currently on your XJ. Previous owners may have installed different type replacement parts. **

On late 1999 - 2001 unit bearing/hubs the ring around the 36MM shaft retaining nut is almost 3/4 inch tall and the hub has longer lug nut studs than older hubs. This style of hub uses the cast rotor. See the axle shaft picture below.

On early 1990 - 1999 unit bearing/hubs the ring around 36MM shaft retaining nut is about 1/2 inch tall. This style of hub uses the composite rotor. See the axle shaft picture below.

Cast vs. Composite rotors Identification and Measurement -

Lay your old rotor on your bench and measure from the bench to the top of the rotor. Be aware that your rotors may have been replaced before and may have a different physical appearance than described and pictured below.

Composite rotors should have a rounded off corner at the wheel mounting surface and look like two pieces joined together. Composite rotors have a thin sheet metal like appearance at the holes where the lug nut studs come through and measure about 1/8 "(.125) thick in this area. Composite rotors have an overall height of 3 3/16".

Cast rotors have a 90 degree angle edge at the wheel mounting surface and look like they are one solid piece of metal. Cast rotors are thicker at the lug nut stud holes and measure between 1/4" (.250) to 5/16 (.320) in this area. Cast rotors have an overall height of 3 1/16".

*** Parts store replacement rotors may have a different physical appearance, but should have similar measurements to the rotors currently on your D30 front axle. You must measure your current rotors and compare the measurements to the replacement rotors at the parts store before purchasing. ***

Hub Type Identification -

1999.5 to 2001 unit bearing/hub on the left of the picture uses the cast rotor. 1990 to 1999.5 unit bearing/hub on the right of the picture uses the composite rotor.

Note the difference in the height of the ring around the 36MM axle nut and the different length of the lug nut studs.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

All of the XJ shafts are the same length regardless of the hub design.

Something else is to blame, not the axle shafts. There should be plenty of play between the locking pin and the axle shaft. If anyone (or you) notices normally if you slide the shaft in all of the way until it will not go in any further, it will pull towards the hub as you tighten the nut, usually by a half inch or so or I'd say!

Great info here for me.

The ZJ shaft was all the way in. The abs ring was sticking out past the knuckle about 1/4". Laying them side by side compared to the TJ shafts and my two piece xj shaft it was almost 1.5" longer. I thought they were all the same but something is wierd here.

I didn't use the rotors off of the TJ cause mine are in great shape the the ones on the TJ are slotted rotor which I don't care for. I'm going to try to mount them on and see what happens. I'm also going to flush and rebleed the whole brake system as this time I just bled it and didn't flush it.

Thanks for the info and help here guys.

Back