• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange engine start issue

Thunderballs

NAXJA Forum User
Morning,

Got a strange issue thought someone might have experienced it before. Whenever I crank the motor the initial time, whether warm or cold it won't start, like the ignition is dead or something. However, the very second time I crank immediately after the first it cranks right up like normal? Not sure what the cause is?

Year ?
Engine ?

Jeep made numerous changes to the Engines, Transmissions, Transfer Cases and Unibody between 1984 and 2001. The correct answer to even very simple problems will vary greatly based on the model year and installed options. Always include this important info in your original posting.

Last edited:
at the fuel rail. You'll see a plastic cap on the valve. unscrew the cap and hook up the guage. but regardless of what the fuel pressure is, thats not the problem here. The problem is electrical. I would start by pulling the starter and having it checked at the shop. It's super easy to pull. Also, check all connection from the battery to the starter. Make sure your ground is good and that there is not a lot of corrosion on any of the terminals

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! This isn't a starter issue tho the starter cranks easy and everytime I cleaned it up when I did my rear main seal. The issue is either no fuel or no spark on the first and ONLY the first time I crank it regardless of hot or cold which is weird to me?

Search for CHECK VALVE. Drainback and loss of fuel pressure can create the symptoms that you are describing.

Try this.

1. Turn key to ON position (don't crank the engine)
2. You will hear the fuel pump energize and run for 2 seconds]
3. Turn the key to the OFF position
4. Repeat 1-3 twice
5. NOW crank the engine.

Does it start quickly and cleanly? Then you are losing fuel pressure and you'll know that because the "poor mans prime" described remedies it.

Just fixed this very same problem in my '01 yesterday. I put in a new fuel pump. Solved.

My symptoms: good crank but no start on first try. Good crank and good start on second try. Now, good start right away.

Had the local Chryco dealer check it out. Pressure was not building properly when key turned on, was a bit low while running (but ran fine), dropped away very quickly when engine was shut off. Their recommendation was to replace the fuel pump. I did, everything fine now.

I had the same issue on my 98 XJ. I just replaced the fuel pump assembly with a new oem unit and it starts FIRST time every time. Hope this is helpful!

heck I've had this problem for almost 2 years now....just don't want to drop the tank of my 96 =(

buy a gauge for 20 bucks and hook it up......just don't keep it on for too long or it gets destroyed :anon:

heck I've had this problem for almost 2 years now....just don't want to drop the tank of my 96 =(

buy a gauge for 20 bucks and hook it up......just don't keep it on for too long or it gets destroyed :anon:
It's not too bad, the worst part is the strap bolts. That's why I cut em and get a new set from these guys for $1.92 each - part number is j3240023: www.funjeepsparts.com (I don't work for them, they're just the only company I've found that stocks them for that kind of killer price. You do need to get washers and nylock nuts though, but that's a whopping $3 at home depot)

It's not too bad, the worst part is the strap bolts. That's why I cut em and get a new set from these guys for $1.92 each - part number is j3240023: www.funjeepsparts.com (I don't work for them, they're just the only company I've found that stocks them for that kind of killer price. You do need to get washers and nylock nuts though, but that's a whopping $3 at home depot)

great, now that's one less excuse :farmer:

Cool thanks fellas that's the symptoms if I let the key prime it for a while itll crank if I just hurry up and start she won't fire the first time.

Thanks again!

I had the same issue on my 98 XJ. I just replaced the fuel pump assembly with a new oem unit and it starts FIRST time every time. Hope this is helpful!

JeepJet Where'd you get your pump, and did you replace the strainer and all in one? Does anyone make a complete replacement kit? I got a walbro 255lph sitting here I'm wondering if that will fit?

Bought a pump, then I read somewhere in this forum about having to get an entire fuel pump assembly to include the fpr/pump/strainer/ etc. Is this true? I took the pump back because it was an aertex and was told they suck. So can anyone give me the final gouge on the 96 specific fuel system? The Haynes says the pump and regulator need to be replaced as a pair but I can't find this setup at any of the parts stores???

rockauto.com sells the pump, strainer, and pressure regulator separately, or the pump and strainer as a kit. The Bosch pump they list would be my first choice, but it says for Bosch aftermarket only. Maybe someone else will post in if it can fit.

Alright here's the FINAL GOUGE on the infamous 1996 Cherokee 4.0 "FUEL MODULES" In short- they don't make them anymore. I called a dealer here and he couldn't get one I did get the correct OEM part number which is 5003869AA. The lowest price I could find online was the $280 range. Some crooks are asking 700 plus for them- F them I say. Here's a few links, or you can just do a search on the part number and it will come up.
http://jeeppartsguy.com/products/?view=product&product_id=90544

or

http://www.oconeeoffroad.com/servlet/the-18797/FUEL-MODULE-1996-XJ/Detail

Hope this helps and it looks like for me this is the only option as I'm 99.9999% sure the FPR is out on mine.

Back