• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

"Burping" a closed system

jbt114

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having my cooling system flushed in my 89 XJ by my mechanic. I asked him about "burping" the system to avoid air bubbles.

He mentioned removing something from the rear of the head, I believe, to force the air out of the system.

Does this sound right?

I think I remember reading about jacking up a certain corner of the Jeep to help to raise the bubbles to the top.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance...

Chris

pulling that sensor can be a pain, i have one of these t's installed in one of my heater hose (couldnt tell you which right about now though) , seems to work.

now that i think of it, that sensor might be easier to do without scalding yourself

Hello All,
For those of you, that do have the T-fitting in one of the heating hoses, replace the plastic screw on cap with a brass one (same as a garden hose end cap).
I had the plastic cap for a few seasons and just buy chance, I looked at it one fall day, and to my astonishment, the top of the cap was so thin, failure was imminent. I posted this a few years ago. I hope this helps someone.

62tmar

Hello All,
For those of you, that do have the T-fitting in one of the heating hoses, replace the plastic screw on cap with a brass one (same as a garden hose end cap).
I had the plastic cap for a few seasons and just buy chance, I looked at it one fall day, and to my astonishment, the top of the cap was so thin, failure was imminent. I posted this a few years ago. I hope this helps someone.

62tmar

The cap failing on those Prestone Ts is so common it is not IF but WHEN. I stopped using them a couple decades ago.

The cap failing on those Prestone Ts is so common it is not IF but WHEN. I stopped using them a couple decades ago.

I went the next step - and made the whole T fitting out of brass plumbing odds & sods. 3/8" pipe nipples fit neatly into 5/8" hose.

Back