• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CSF Radiator and Manual Tranny

desertred

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone installed one in an XJ with a manual tranny? I purchased a CSF radiator thru Radiatorbarn for my 88XJ manual 4.0L. The item I received is not a direct replacement. It has a permanently attached metal tube (~1/4 inch) coming from underneath the bottom hose orifice. My OEM radiator does have a plug in this location, but the Radiatorbarn item does not allow removal of the tube. Anyone know this tube is for? Any ideas as to how to adequately plug this line (JB Weld, etc)? There are also three threaded posts (for the radiator support beam) where my original radiator has two. This can be fixed if 2 of the 3 posts match the OEM placement.

I have sent a note to Radiator barn with my problems. As luck would have it, they are closed until Monday, and my XJ sits in pieces in the garage.

Can you post some pictures?

If it is curved toward the motor, don't worry about it. The replacement i put in my 5sp mj has it and Ii believe it is a built in tranny cooler.

Yes, the tube is curved toward the motor. Is the tube not open, so that coolant would flow through it? Do I not need to plug the line somehow?

I did figure out the three posts on top are OK. I need to swap some top supports from the old to the new (dim lighting in my garage). :eek:

OK, I think I've figured this out. It appears that protruding tube may be part of an auto tranny cooler as DansGreyMj mentioned. Blowing into it, I get air coming out of the top most port above the lower hose orifice. It appears that the auto tranny cooler is a internal tube inside the radiator which the tranny fluid/oil flows through and is chilled by coolant surrounding the internal tube. The top port in the radiator (driver's side) and the protruding tube at the bottom of the radiator serve as the inlet and outlet for the tranny fluid. Assuming there is not a hole in the tranny fluid tube internal to the radiator, there should not be any coolant flowing in or out of these ports. Can someone confirm this before I blow coolant all over the engine bay? :D

Trust us, the two ports that don't take a radiator hose are the trans cooler. You can cap them if you want, but you needn't worry about anything coming out of them.

Back