• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

check engine light on but no codes???

mxkiller125

NAXJA Forum User
My check engine light came one today on my 97 jeep cherokee so i did the key trick and the only code that shows up is 55...but 55 means end of codes. Does anyone have any idea why the light could be on??

you need a special to use a code reader on obd1 jeeps. they are kind of hard to find. if you are getting a code 55 your jeep is not a 97. all obd2 systems are standardized (as of 96) and all engine related codes start with Pxxxx (powertrain). you may have a pending code (such as a misfire) which the computer has found a problem but is waiting for it to happen again to verify the problem, however a pending code can only be seen with a code reader.

I think on a 96 or 97 the two OBD systems coexist, but you're not reading the same set in two different ways. The key trick will work for the engine codes that were available with OBDI, but I don't think it will pick up added OBDII codes, including transmission codes, so if it's one of those, you'll get the light but no readable code with the key.

I think on a 96 or 97 the two OBD systems coexist, but you're not reading the same set in two different ways. The key trick will work for the engine codes that were available with OBDI, but I don't think it will pick up added OBDII codes, including transmission codes, so if it's one of those, you'll get the light but no readable code with the key.

My understanding as well...get a code reader or a scan tool on there and I'm confident you'll get a code to interpret.

Well the check engine light just went off on its own, i didnt even do anything. It seems to be running fine so i guess ill just let it go haha. Thanks for the help tho

Back