• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

State DNR to hold public meeting on Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan

RlCHARD CRANlUM

NAXJA Forum User
State DNR to hold public meeting on Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan
OLYMPIA – The Washington State Department of Natural Resources (DNR) will host a public meeting to provide information and receive public comments on a draft recreation plan for the Reiter Foothills Forest.
Reiter Foothills Forest is a popular recreation area located in eastern Snohomish County near Gold Bar and Index.
When: Wednesday, November 18, 6:30 to 8 p.m.
Where: The Commons, Monroe High School, 17001 Tester Rd., Monroe

In 2007, the Washington State Legislature recognized the challenges of managing recreational use at Reiter Foothills Forest and funded DNR’s development of a sustainable recreation plan. For the past two years, DNR has worked with a diverse group of stakeholders—including citizens, user groups, representatives from conservation groups, and local officials—to create a recreation plan that identifies long-term recreation uses and addresses problems in the area.
In addition to Reiter Foothills Forest, DNR is also doing sustainable recreation planning for two other forest areas in Washington State: Ahtanum State Forest near Yakima and the western portion of the Yacolt Burn State Forest, north of Washougal.
DNR will release the draft Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan on its web site on Tuesday, November 10. DNR is requesting feedback from the public about the findings and recommendations in this plan. In conjunction with the public review of the plan, DNR is also conducting an official State Environmental Policy Act (SEPA) process. The public comment period runs from November 10 through December 4.
For more information about the meeting, contact Candace Johnson, 360-854-2803 or [email protected].
The public can provide all written comments about the Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan or the SEPA environmental analysis to:Washington State Department of Natural Resources
SEPA Center
PO Box 47105
Olympia, WA 98504
[email protected]

Lame, I work Wednesday. But thanks for the update!

~Scott

Thanks Ken,
I was just about to post the same thing.
I will not be able to attend, but anyone who is interested should definietly go!!

Michael

kinda cool how they hold the meeting a 3 hour drive from where the land in question is...

I'll be there.

I had a bunch of these stickers made up to give away at this meeting -

see me there and if I have any left, I'll give ya one.

dsc_0973.jpg

I had a bunch of these stickers made up to give away at this meeting -

see me there and if I have any left, I'll give ya one.

dsc_0973.jpg

I want one regardless... how much?

come on guys, I'm going to have to leave here at like 3:45 to make it there at 6:30 - Everett is WAY closer.

Meet me there, and I'll give you one. Stick around, and be informed about whats going on with YOUR trails...

:thumbup:

Whomever is heading to the Reiter Foothills meeting - can you PLEASE ask if an ORV Permit will be required to use the area, and, what effect an ORV Permit has on Street Legality... just so the Experts have a chance to offer Facts and Data?

Posted as a follow-up from the ORV permit thread:
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1015143

leaving for this right now. :wave:

dam... i just made it home from work. I hate that I missed this!

come on guys, I'm going to have to leave here at like 3:45 to make it there at 6:30 - Everett is WAY closer.

Meet me there, and I'll give you one. Stick around, and be informed about whats going on with YOUR trails...

:thumbup:

Work is a wonderful thing. Not. Thanks for attending the meeting though! I'm sorry to say I couldn't.

~Scott

Another update from the DNR.

Many of you may have attended the November 18 meeting in Monroe to hear about DNR’s upcoming plans for Reiter Foothills.

We had a good turnout at the meeting—about 150 people showed up. Most of the people were from the motorized recreation community. Many folks expressed concerns about the limited size of area proposed for future motorized recreation.

In the coming months, we will be paying extra attention to Reiter Foothills. DNR staff and volunteers will be restoring damaged habitat, beginning construction on new trail systems, and working to improve public safety. DNR will be looking for volunteers to help not only with restoration projects, but to help locate trails and to donate time and heavy equipment to repair damaged areas. Look forward to more information about volunteer work projects in future emails.

Reiter Foothills Planning Update

As most of you know, the Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan is available for public review at this time. The comment period will be open until December 4, 2009.

Written comments can be submitted through DNR’s SEPA Center by email to [email protected] or by mail to:

DNR SEPA CENTER; P.O. Box 47105; Olympia, WA 98504

How can I get more information?

The Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan is on DNR’s website at: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/RecreationEdu...nPlanning/Pages/amp_rec_reiter_foothills.aspx

Important SEPA documents for the Reiter Foothills Forest Recreation Plan are available at: http://www.dnr.wa.gov/ResearchScience/Topics/SEPANonProject/Pages/amp_sepa_nonpro_reiter_jan.aspx

Reiter Foothills Plan Implementation Update

DNR will continue to implement elements of the recreation plan in the coming months. DNR staff is currently working on developing the following implementation objectives:

· Reiter Foothills Forest Watch Patrol

· Reiter Foothills Advisory Committee

· Restoration Work Plan

· Volunteer work project schedule

· Motorized and non motorized trail design

· Trailhead design

· Funding opportunities

· Partnership opportunities

Reiter Foothills Enforcement Update

On November 2, we closed Reiter Foothills to all uses except foot traffic. DNR law enforcement has spent a considerable amount of time in the last couple of weeks patrolling the area. We are very pleased with the high level of compliance on this temporary closure. Only a few citations have been written to motorized and non-motorized recreationists. Thank you to all the users who have cooperated with the closure.

Thanks to all the volunteers who have donated time, equipment, and materials for the planning and on-site work thus far!

If you have questions or comments, would like additional information, or would like to volunteer to work at Reiter, please contact David Way at 360-854-2830.

Candace Johnson

Assistant Region Manager, State Lands

Department of Natural Resources

Back