• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rattling through the floor

ocskipper

NAXJA Forum User
When going over small pumps or just hitting rough spots in the road something is rattling in my front suspension. I can hear it and feel it in my feet through the floor. Sounds like some sort of bracket or tie rod is loose and shaking/rattling around. I have pulled and pushed on everything under there and it all looks tight. Any ideas where to look a little closer?

If your exhaust is missing a hanger (or hangers) it could be rattling against the floor or t-case x-member. Otherwise control arm bushings are a possibility. Stock? Lifted? How much lift? More info may be helpful...

3" rancho springs with 2" poly spacers. I just installed a drop bracket kit with stock lowers and uppers. the bushing did look a little torn up on install but it is my DD so I had to put them back in to get to work. Would I be able to feel/hear a control arm busing through the floor and into the cab?

X2 on everything themangeraaad said. Also, check your shock absorbers and shock absorber bushings along with your anti sway bar bushings and linkage bushings. I had a funny intermittent clunk from the rear right caused by a shock, and a funny grinding clunking noise from the front left caused by an anti sway bar bushing (this one was easy to find, after a particularly bad crunching sound I stopped, saw a rusty washer rolling away from my XJ, and suddenly it became really critical that I find where it came from :roflmao:)

I have a gut feeling it is the control arm bushings. The sway bar and busings were new when I installed the lift. Cheap source for OEM or aftermarket control arms?

BTW: the rocky road control arms drops are an extreme PIA to install!!! they are built well and do the job but not exactly an evening bolt in.

Last edited:
Check a couple of the sponsors, skipper. QuadraTec, Morris, DPG, and probably some others as well carry stock replacements. Link up top- Sponsor Info.

Most likely your exhaust hitting the crossmember, my Mj just started doing it the other day.

I checked the exhaust. everything is welded tight. Plus the sound and feel is not that of what the exhaust would create. Its is like a knocking sound.

Did you grab the exhaust and shake it?

what about the TC? my 92's TC will contact the floor in a really annoying rattling sound depending on temp/road conditions. then again all my stuff is really worn out, and i'm missing two bolts from the TC crossmember... (its on the to do list)

Do you have swaybar disconnects? Mine make all kinds of noises.

I have stock sway bar arms with the bracket the lowers the mounts. I took it for some light wheeling this weekend and it is deffinitley suspension related. Any washboard type road conditions where the suspension is cycling quickly and it knocks and bangs like crazy. Getting frustrated...!!!1

Back