• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Up Country Shocks

heyhar

NAXJA Forum User
To all of you Up Country gurus, we have a '96 with Up Country suspension. It needs new shocks, as, I'm guessing it may still have the originals, at more than 150k miles. It has the funky upside-down ones on it. Can they be replaced with normal XJ shocks, or are they actually a little longer? I got under it, and fully extended, the rears are just about 21" fron bar pin to center of bottom bushing. I have a not-too-used set of Bilsteins, at 20.25", and Monroe Sensatrac Boosters at 20".
The rear leaves still have a nice arch to them, and the whole car still sits noticeably high, as it would when new. Maybe I'm splitting hairs worrying about at most an inch in length, but I don't want to do the wrong thing on my son's car

To all of you Up Country gurus, we have a '96 with Up Country suspension. It needs new shocks, as, I'm guessing it may still have the originals, at more than 150k miles. It has the funky upside-down ones on it. Can they be replaced with normal XJ shocks, or are they actually a little longer? I got under it, and fully extended, the rears are just about 21" fron bar pin to center of bottom bushing. I have a not-too-used set of Bilsteins, at 20.25", and Monroe Sensatrac Boosters at 20".
The rear leaves still have a nice arch to them, and the whole car still sits noticeably high, as it would when new. Maybe I'm splitting hairs worrying about at most an inch in length, but I don't want to do the wrong thing on my son's car

An Up Country XJ can take the normal duty shocks. I had some on mine for a bit till I got new Up Country ones for my XJ. After market may be the way to go to same money since the mopar ones are so expensive. You can also try Quadratec for the HD Shocks as well.

Back