• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Skipping 2nd gear

99XJLove

NAXJA Forum User
My friend has a 95 xj with the AW4 trans in it. Recently he put the 1-2 solenoid in it to fix the not shifting automatically problem he was having. Everything has been fine for like 3 months. Now it is shifting normally with the exeption of missing 2nd gear. It skips 2nd and goes to 3rd and so on. It shifts down fine but skips 2nd there also. Any help would be appriceated.

Got another bad solenoid? Doesn't seem likely since both solenoids are on for 1st gear.
Actaully both solenoids are on for 2nd gear,
1st #1 on, #2 off
2nd #1 on, #2 on
3rd #1 off, #2 on
4th Both off

Are you sure it isn't shifting from 1st into 4th and then TC lock? TC lock feel like a gear because the rpm does drop.

1st #1 on, #2 off
2nd #1 on, #2 on
3rd #1 off, #2 on
4th Both off

Are you sure it isn't shifting from 1st into 4th and then TC lock? TC lock feel like a gear because the rpm does drop.

No it has every gear besides 2nd. Both manually shifting and auto shifting. Goes through the gears normally up and down just no 2nd gear.

manual that's normal operation, as I recall - there is 1-2 (only 1, in manual mode) 3 (3) and D (overdrive.) In automatic mode with the TCU powered, not going into 2 would mean... maybe there isn't enough fluid pressure or just plain not enough fluid to run both shift valves at once? That's a complete guess, I'm a transmission knucklehead when talking about anything except the electronics.

1st #1 on, #2 off
2nd #1 on, #2 on
3rd #1 off, #2 on
4th Both off

Doh! You're right. Must be that failing memory again.

manual that's normal operation, as I recall - there is 1-2 (only 1, in manual mode) 3 (3) and D (overdrive.) In automatic mode with the TCU powered, not going into 2 would mean... maybe there isn't enough fluid pressure or just plain not enough fluid to run both shift valves at once? That's a complete guess, I'm a transmission knucklehead when talking about anything except the electronics.

On the AW4 it has the 1-2 position. So when you are in the 1-2 range it stayes in 1 untill the RPM gets high enough to shift to 2. There is no way that the fluid level is wrong in the trans either. We run a lube shop and my friend is a very compitent mechanic. He has been doing this kinda stuff for 25 years or longer I would guess. Anyways we'll just test the solenoids again. Not really sure where to go from here.

On the AW4 it has the 1-2 position. So when you are in the 1-2 range it stayes in 1 untill the RPM gets high enough to shift to 2. There is no way that the fluid level is wrong in the trans either. We run a lube shop and my friend is a very compitent mechanic. He has been doing this kinda stuff for 25 years or longer I would guess. Anyways we'll just test the solenoids again. Not really sure where to go from here.
This I know. I was saying it only goes into 1 when you pull the fuse to disable the TCU.

Back