• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

not shifting out of 4wd can't figure out(I searched)

commando

NAXJA Forum User
My 90 4.0 with the 242 t-case will not shift out of 4wd the only way I can get it to come out is to either jack up a front wheel or take out the front driveshaft then it will shift in and out is this a t-case problem or could it be something in the front end.It seems like something is binding any ideas?
Ive tried everything to get it to shift moving,stopped,rolling neutral, reverse. Winters coming if I need a t-case I dont want to try that in freezing weather

i adjusted the linkage to spec

tires are all the same size and wear

when I disconnect the driveshaft the jeep moves back a little and when I jack it up the tire the tire will scoot a little turn backwards i think

Lifted?

Transfer case drop?

Is this vehicle new to you, or has not been in 4wd in a long time?

If so, I've found that NP242s that have not been in 4WD in a long time get stuck. Both my 88 NP242 and 98 NP242 did it when I first got the them. You just need to keep working it in and out if this is the case. Shifting into neutral (if an automatic) while coasting usually helps.

also, while shifting from 4hi to 2wd, pulse the throttle. it worked for me when i first got mine, and the tires weren't all the same size. i just got 4 new tires, and went wheelin a couple times and it's been fine since.

You are running DexIII in the transfer case, right?

I havent had the jeep very long but if its this frustrating to shift in and out the 242 will be replaced with a 231
I have had Jeeps of all flavors never a problem with a t-case, when these were new did they have problems if so I don't see how they ever sold them.
I hope it has dex3 I guess I can change fluid to make sure. How much fluid does it hold?

thanks for the ideas

You mentioned tires are same size and wear but you haven't posted if you checked tire pressure yet. If you have a low tire, it absolutely will give you trouble disengaging. I've seen it first hand a few times........

drivers front is at 28 psi the rest are 30 i wouldnt think that would be the culprit

If I wanted to replace it with a 231 what are the spline counts on the 90 242 vs a 231 and what year I will need to look for. The speedo changed I am not sure when.Is there a jeep with the same spline count as mine

Back