• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

from 3.55 to 4.10 in 8.25

In the 8.25, I don't think so no.

Are you sure you shouldnt be going to 4.56? ;)

haha Don't do that to me. I only ask, because it's actually going to be cheaper to buy a F/R set of 4.10s with an overhaul kit that just a new 3.55 ring/pinion and overhaul kit.

I would also say to go higher, not through experience but through the fact that I said this to some of my NAC friends:
I need to find some prebuilt axles with 4.10s in them
and got this reply from everyone:
:twak: dude! don't do that. You want 4.56s or 4.88s because you know you're gonna want bigger tires sometime, and they're great even on the size you have now!
(all paraphrased for your enjoyment)

Good luck!

the break in the carrier is around the high 2s real low 3s so your good to go.

X2 on 4.56, I run a 31" tire and 4.56 gears and average around 20 mpg (DD) with 4.5 lift, heavy bumpers front and rear and a roof rack which never comes of.

Why not do a 4cyl D30/ 8.8 swap same thing, better rear axle, and disks for less than paying for gears and paying a shop to do your gears.

31s - 32s is good with me, maybe 33s TOPS.

Ford 32's, you want 4.56. For 33's, 4.56 or 4.88. If you think you may ever go over 31's, go deeper than 4.10 gears.

A lot of people don't understand that you arent' driving a v8 with a non overdrive transmission. Its a 6 cylinder with an overdrive, and it wants to be up between 2600 and 3000 RPM's on the highway.

I just spent a good bit driving an XJ with 235/75/15 tires and 4.10 gears, which we swapped out for axles with 3.55 gears after two weeks. It lost 3 mpg.

Ford 32's, you want 4.56. For 33's, 4.56 or 4.88. If you think you may ever go over 31's, go deeper than 4.10 gears.

A lot of people don't understand that you arent' driving a v8 with a non overdrive transmission. Its a 6 cylinder with an overdrive, and it wants to be up between 2600 and 3000 RPM's on the highway.

I just spent a good bit driving an XJ with 235/75/15 tires and 4.10 gears, which we swapped out for axles with 3.55 gears after two weeks. It lost 3 mpg.

No, I want to keep my gas mileage about where it is. I figure it out to be 16 city 18-20 highway. On the highway I keep my RPMs to about 2,000 - 2,200 and she seems to like it, but i don't know much about that. I would actually gain in gas mileage with a higher RPM ?

yes you will gain mpgs for a little higher rpms. The 4.0 is most efficient around 2500 and going to a lower gearing(high numericly) is less work for the engine to keep the vehicle moving. You will be running anything bigger than 31s Go higher. Plus aroung town its a tourqe monster.

Back