• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

swapping to a 8.25

Ewenm

NAXJA Forum User
ive done a bit of a search but not found anything (probably me)

has anyone done a write up on swapping a Chrysler 8.25 into a Cherokee that currently has a D35, is it truly a bolt in swap???

what extra stuff will i need, i have extended shackles and reset springs in the back and had to use a wedge to stop vibes, about 3 inches of lift, i also have spacers under the rear mount cross brace, do i just set it up the same, or do i take the spacers and wedges out, i have a ,94 cherokee, can i use the same prop shaft or do i need the later model??

all help appreciated

Ewen

Get your 8.25, the drive shaft that is connected to the 8.25, and some new u-bolts. It will all bolt on. Re-use your old set-up, shims, wedges, spacers, whatever you have.

if your jeep is lifted some you can reuse your current drive shaft. It's a little longer then the one on the 8.25 but if your lifted 3ish+ inches it about evens out and put's the slip yoke back to about where it should be. Had an xj with 3" of lift did the swap no problems, and another with 5" and no problems. Also make sure you buy new ubolts (dana 35 ones are too small), the 8.25 is a thicker axle. I get mine from a suspension shop and all i have to do is tell them the diameter of the axle tube and the length I want.

like was said, u-bolts is all you NEED but i would also recommend the DS like tim did. assuming you got the 8.25 out of a 97+ XJ, you will need to put the D35 e-brake cables on the 8.25. 97+ XJ's had different cables.

thanks for the help , the diff is new it has never been in a car before, one of our 4x4 parts houses here in Australia has bought a bunch of them, it has 4.10 (or maybe 4.11) gears
factory trac lock diff as well, drum to drum with hand brake cables. i just have to wait till it arrives

i plan to disconnect my front drive shaft till i can afford to get the front diff re geared, i currently have 31 inch tyres on a 3 inch lift so i,m real excited about this as my poor old d35 is on its last legs, grumbling and moaning all the time

awesome! I've never seen a brand new 8.25...

Also, I would just like to say I like this thread a lot more than the ones I've seen about swapping a d35 in to replace an 8.25, swapping a d44a to replace an 8.25, swapping a "grand cherokee 8.25" in to replace an 8.25, etc...

Any idea what the spline count is on the one you're getting? Hopefully it's 29 (part of model year 96 and all 97+ 8.25s) but even a 27sp is better than a d35.

Back