• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Lights for Roof Rack

Skibum12189

NAXJA Forum User
I think I am going to purchasing a roof rack (safari-type basket, etc.) for my spare and cargo. I live in NE ohio and would love to mount four nice 6" rounds up there.

I've been looking at Hella's most recently. About 120 shipped off ebay for two-two light packages (4 lights + accessories). I have Hella 500FFs on my front bumper currently. Should I have the driving lights or the fog lights on the roof rack. From what I have read, it should be the driving lights.

Will I get bad glare on the hood if I aim them correctly? Or are there better lights for that price range to throw some decent light out. Is round my best option? or should i be looking at cheap little rectangle ones.

I am not worried about tree branches, etc. at this point, it is a concern, but for now assume that damage is not a factor. Also does someone have some decent wiring diagrams to wire up some roof mounted reverse lights (4x2 rectangles, etc.)?

might help to mention i have an 00 xj with the roof rails that start roughly above the rear most part of the front doors (not the full length roof rack rails that are on some xj's). or would i be better off getting like a rockratz gutter mount light bar. I like the idea of mounting it on the roof rack more

On my previous rig, I had 4 6" spots roof mounted... they were 15 dollars a piece, 55w. The hood glare wasnt bad (maybe because they were spots) but you could tell they were defiantly on! I had them placed just about where the roof became level, pretty close to the front.

The lights were some knock off brand from auto zone or somewhere... If you are going more for the style or looks, that's what I would suggest. I got KC covers for them too to make me not look so cheap haha. I did get to use them though a few times, and for how cheap they were, they were not bad. I have seen the hella 500's and they seem so much more powerful! Not sure if they are more flood style or spot. I would feel that floods would be nice. I am not familiar with rectangle ones... That probably is more of a style preference...

As for the back up lights, I too upgraded there as well. Again, I got cheap (i think 30w) all-in-one housing deals from an auto store. They make a world of difference!! Highly recommend! I had a 98 Explorer, and I had room to mount them on the top of the rear bumper. I do not own an XJ YET, (looking hard though) and im not sure of the clearances. As for wiring, i just sliced right into the original wiring... I figured the whole 35w lights wouldn't over load the circuit. And, never blew a fuse! For the bigger lights, RELAYS! they are pretty straight forward if you haven't ran them before, and safer, and will make your lights max brightness!

Here is my previous set up: (sorry, its a ford, i know :dunce:)
2550257_87.jpg

2550257_20.jpg

Hope this helps! Best of luck to you!

thanks, that's definitely some good information. looks good....for a ford... haha just bustin' your chops. good luck with the XJ search!

i ordered 4 hella 500's on ebay today for $100 shipped.
not sure if i am mounting all 4 on the front of my rack, or 2 front, 2 rear.
i may order 2 more to max it out with 4 front, 2 rear...

looks good....for a ford... haha just bustin' your chops.

Its cool. I get it all the time! haha. She was "clunked" this summer in that program.. engine and tranny were going south in a hurry... so, took advantage of that. I miss my rig, but, im really anxious to start over with an XJ!

But yeah... Lights are cool mods. Wheelin at night is a lot of fun too. Just do the wiring right the first time, cause it really sucks to have to re-do it. Just a thought: Im planning to run a heavy gauge wire through the firewall and have kind of like a power distribution block inside the cabin. I hate having to run lines through the firewall all the time for good power source.

Just a thought: Im planning to run a heavy gauge wire through the firewall and have kind of like a power distribution block inside the cabin. I hate having to run lines through the firewall all the time for good power source.

Thats what I did, ran a 8ag wire to a fuse distribution block(like the ones in conversion vans for all the extra lighting and such). It makes life sooooo much easier. I ran it to underneath the rear seat so its in the centermost part of the truck and is EASY to get to incase of issues.
I dont worry about water getting to it cause i dont usually traverse that deep of water holes.

Its cool. I get it all the time! haha. She was "clunked" this summer in that program.. engine and tranny were going south in a hurry... so, took advantage of that. I miss my rig, but, im really anxious to start over with an XJ!

But yeah... Lights are cool mods. Wheelin at night is a lot of fun too. Just do the wiring right the first time, cause it really sucks to have to re-do it. Just a thought: Im planning to run a heavy gauge wire through the firewall and have kind of like a power distribution block inside the cabin. I hate having to run lines through the firewall all the time for good power source.

Did you take off all the Extra's before you Clunked it?

Here's my set-up. The two KC's on the bumper are 130W driving. The four Hella's on the rack are 55w-driving. I used the Hella's because they were reasonably priced and will throw plenty of light. I think it really comes down to how much you want to spend :)

_DSC0357.jpg

Did you take off all the Extra's before you Clunked it?

OMG Yes! haha that was the best part of the deal that I got to keep everything! even radio and speakers. The guy at the dealer said it just needs to drive here and then to scrap! so, it did! I planned on doing a new rig soon, so i kept as much as i could get off it!

BTW... 1blackXJ, do you have more info on the light bar on your bumper? I searched for it the best I could, and I couldnt come across it... i really like that! its clean and simple

Back