• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaky radiator...suggestions?

solomon7

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed my rad is leaking slowly from somewhere on the pad. side down low. Any way to fix it?
If not, anyone have any good suggestions for a new radiator? Thiss couldn't have come at a worse time and I don't wanna break the bank fixing it. Any decent radiators for under 100? Never had to shop for one before and don't even know what I'm looking for. i'd like a CSF but they appear a bit out of my range.

If it's a good quality old school radiator you can solder it yourself with flux and acid core solder. Brazing works too.

Aluminum POS with plastic end tanks? Replacement time...

My rad leaked so little I basically replaced it when I wanted to, with a CSF 3 core.

My suggestions:
Dont get a 3 row if you are going to be in stop and go traffic, or pulling a lot through traffic, your temps will go up. Yes they go back down but with a 2row this wont happen as bad.

Do not fix it with a bottled radiator stop leak. Upon replacing my rad I flushed my whole cooling system and found so much goop it wasnt funny, I ended up flusing my at the time non functioning heater core and more slop came out. No more goo, and now my heater core works. The stop leak may have done its job but at what cost ya know. My .02

if your radiator is stock, then you have plastic end tanks........which is just a piss poor design

you can replace it with another oem style, but it will just develop the same leak over time

you should go with a quality 2 row all metal radiator, such as the "heatbuster" model from completeradiators.com

My rad leaked so little I basically replaced it when I wanted to, with a CSF 3 core.

My suggestions:
Dont get a 3 row if you are going to be in stop and go traffic, or pulling a lot through traffic, your temps will go up. Yes they go back down but with a 2row this wont happen as bad.
Why would it get warmer? With more cooling area I'd think it would run cooler; correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm leaning toward a 2 row CSF unless the 3row is the better choice in the long run for a DD/trail rider

proliance heavy duty radiator (online), new stock temp stant thermostat (advance auto parts), and a hesco thermostat housing and water pump, new hoses.

no problems anymore.

As for tstats, you dont' need a low temp one unless you have a really modified Jeep.

Why would it get warmer? With more cooling area I'd think it would run cooler; correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm leaning toward a 2 row CSF unless the 3row is the better choice in the long run for a DD/trail rider

More overall cooling area yes, but in those occasions where flow is what you need the 2 row has an advantage of having larger cores. Its only gotten up to 210 in heavy midtown NY traffic, and stop and go traffic while pulling a trailer. I'll be totally honest and say I dont know how this radiator would react to trails. The fans kick on at their predetermined factory setting, and I have a 180 degree thermo.

I would not repair an old rad. An old rad is general thin all over. It will start leaking again in short order.
Repair only when a hole has been poked into an other wise sound rad.
Many offers DO have bad luck with cheep plastic end tanks. They just don't hold up as long as others.
But ask yourself how long am I going to keep this Jeep? Many XJ don't have long to go. So putting big money into a rad may never pay off. Unless you reuse or resell the rad.

I would not repair an old rad. An old rad is general thin all over. It will start leaking again in short order.
Repair only when a hole has been poked into an other wise sound rad.

Good advice. I wouldn't repair an old radiator either. Replace with an OEM one if you're on a budget. Radiator Barn, etc.

More overall cooling area yes, but in those occasions where flow is what you need the 2 row has an advantage of having larger cores. Its only gotten up to 210 in heavy midtown NY traffic, and stop and go traffic while pulling a trailer. I'll be totally honest and say I dont know how this radiator would react to trails. The fans kick on at their predetermined factory setting, and I have a 180 degree thermo.

I have a 3 core and sit in heavy traffic all the time here in AZ where the temps see 120 degrees. I wheeled in the summer mid afternoon with no over heating.

~edit
I got my radiator from DPG offroad. Great price and the best customer service.

I had mine replaced last December with a similar leak.....I wasn't in a position to order one and wait and I was sort of stuck so I had to have it done......my local radiator shop replaced it with an OEM style in 1 business day for $150. That was a year ago and no problems since. I was happy with the cost.

Thanks all. I actually ended up finding a CSF all metal 2 row for $134 from http://http://www.radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator. Pretty stoked about it after getting 260+ quotes for it locally.
I wouldn't normally go on about a store but their service was outstanding, shipping free, and price unbeatable:loveu:. Took less than 2 minutes over the phone (they're actually having CSF send it to me direct, since they are in Florida; cool) and it'll be here Monday! Can't wait to cut those stupid tranny cooler connectors off and get some hose clamps on instead!

Back