• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Death Wobbles

BigBlueBeast

NAXJA Forum User
93 XJ 2 Door Sport. Completely Stock. Death wobbles after 45mph. I replaced the Trac Bar today and it seems worse. What else would cause the death wobble. When I turn the wheel, I have no creeking or poping. WTF?:helpme:

Try a good steering stabilizer like rustys.It worked for one I had.

No. Steering stabliziers are a mask for death wobble, not a fix.

OP. When is the last time you have had an alignment? The front tires towed out will give you DW. Many people overlook the fact that an alignment is necessary, and even though they have replaced many bushings, etc. in the front end, they still have DW because they haven't had an alignment.

Same thing here...

This is what I have done so far:

Replace all steering parts with those off of my 2006 TJ - 20k miles on them before changing out to high steer.

Currie adjustable LCA's

Stock uppers, new bushings

New ball joints

New unit bearings

none of these items fixed anything, so 8 days ago I bought a brand new cheapo track bar from autozone - and a steering stabilizer - both of these items made the Jeep drive like new! However, two days ago small vibes came back and today death wobble is back in full force. Happens anywhere from 55 MPH to 65 MPH while driving and hitting potholes or small bumps - sometimes it just starts on its own.

Today: bought another brand new track bar, did nothing to correct this problem. Will be returning both under warranty and replacing with my stock TJ bar.

The new bar I bought did show signs of wear after only six days in the Jeep - tie rod end could be moved freely by hand now.
Maybe the new one is also defective - I ordered a MOOG track bar and will receive & inspect it Thursday. I really dont want to mount it for no reason since it cost $130.

Would like to add that I took the Jeep in for alignment today - and the shop said that my layman alignment was within spec and simply balanced the tires - maybe I should try another shop before another track bar.

Anyone else? Please don`t say "search" - I have been lurking on this forum since I got my XJ three years ago - and have been slowly dealing with death wobble for most of that time - i`d love to start driving the piece of shit finally.

Last edited:
In my years of fighting with XJs, track bar and wheel balance seem to be my Jeep's weak points. Four years ago, I had a set of Cooper Discoverer HTs that would not hold a balance. On my '96 just recently, I got rid of a set of Dayton Timberline ATs. Both sets were about two years old, about 30k miles, 235/75 on factory wheels, replaced both sets with 235/70 car type tires, both vehicles run smooth. Toward the 30k mark on both sets, even when balanced, they were out of round. The XJs are light, and a truck type tire, for normal on-pavement driving is just too harsh. Have it be a little imperfect, and look out!

Same thing here...

Currie adjustable LCA's

Stock uppers, new bushings

Just my .02- I've never had luck with anything but stock type control arms for a street-driven XJ. I've tried red urethanes, Rubicon Express adjustables, and IMO, it has to do with the way a bushing absorbs and then releases energy. As others have said, DW is a harmonic, and it's range of frequency is unfortunately right in the speeds that we need to drive. Change the pitch, and the bell rings at a different frequency.

I hated to do it, but I called Q-tec, and ordered four control arms for my '92. With nice round, well balanced tires, it behaves just fine.

Back