• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil weight question?

groovyjeepster

NAXJA Forum User
So its about time for an oil change in my xj, I've been running 10 30w the whole time I've had it but I just recently moved from Oregon where it never got too cold to Chicago and all I keep hearing is about how cold it gets here in Illinois. So my question is should i stick with the 10-30w i always use or should I go with the 5-30w for the winter? thanks for your time

I usually use 5w30 in the winter because it makes for easier/gentler starting imo, but I don't think it should matter all that much. I know people who use 5w30 year round also. Check your owners manual, it should have a bargraph somewhere in the maintenance section that shows which oil weights they recommend for different temp ranges.

Agree with following the recommended viscosity.

Might I also recommend a block heater, an upgraded battery and battery heater too.

I concur.

i was thinking of going 5w-40 Rotella full syn. but I am wanting to stay w/ Val. Max life full syn because of the addatives, but heard rotella is better for the 4.0 and not just hi mi 4.0's...... I run 10w-30 in the summer and 5w-30-40 in the winter....

I live in Colorado.....

Why not run 5w-40 year round? And you do not need to switch if you dont want or choose to. The valvoline products have enough ZDDP in them. If you switch, I recommend Amsoil full synthetic. It is the best I have ever used.

I am running Rotella Full Syn. 5W-40. its a good broad temp range oil that provides lots of lube....

I go with the mfg. recommendations. If temps are "normally" over 60 degrees farenheit, I use 10-30. If temps are "normally" under 60 degrees farenheit, I use 5-30.

Back