• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Searched, looking for relation bewteen lockout button, parking lamps, and guage light

Crispy

NAXJA Forum User
This has been on going for a while but has turned for the worse.

Started out with my power windows not working, all 4 of them. After replacing the breaker (which would get very hot to the touch) in the passenger kick function was restored but only temporarily and partially. With the lock out switch depressed, stopping function to all passenger windows all of my windows would work fine from the master switch. With the switch released the volt gauge on the dash would drop, the idle speed would drop as well as if there was a large draw on the system and all windows would function, but very slowly. I've actually come to terms with that and have left my window lock out button depressed, no big deal.

Recently at the end of a drive, my parking lights shut off, blew both fuses. I opened the hatch and double checked wiring in the driver side weather loom, nothing broken or rubbing. I then pulled all bulbs, including tag light, replaced the fuse and still blew it. The front end has no rubbing or broken wires either. I do have an aftermarket security system and remote start, I did disconnect that as well just to remove any doubt. Other mod is HID lights, those are on a fused and relayed system, and they still work. Only the parking lamps dont work.

Now the other day for whatever reason I decided to press my lock out button, allowing independent function of all windows and suddenly my parking lamps turned on, mind you, the parking lamp fuses are still blown. The parking lamps turned off after about 45 seconds.

Ive checked all fuses and all are ok except the two parking lamp fuses. As it seems to me the fault lies with the window switch or wiring to it. I may also take a look at the parking light switch.

Sorry for the long post, but this has gone on a long time. What is the relation between the lockout switch, parking lights, and gauge lights? Also, where else can I look for an answer to this problem? Your input is greatly appreciated.

.... the volt gauge on the dash would drop, the idle speed would drop as well as if there was a large draw on the system .....
....suddenly my parking lamps turned on, mind you, the parking lamp fuses are still blown.....

Look for chafed insulation or a broken wire(s). Your symptoms point to a massive short circuit which can heat up components to the point that you have a Car-B-Q fire.

First thing we need to know as usual is what year is your rig? That will give us an idea of any potential similar problems that have been fixed in the past.

My apologies, I though I had a sig set up. Its a 1999 4.0 4wd Cherokee Classic, 146k, mods include HIDS as mentioned, kenwood radio, 5 channel amp, aftermarket speakers with subwoofer, and aftermarket security and remote start system.

I checked the wiring diagrams from a 99 fsm and there's no direct correlation from the power window switch and wipers. The power window problems sounds like it's either a problem with the drivers, or one of the rear switches. Best way to tell would be to unplug one rear at a time and see if it makes a difference. If not then try getting another drivers switch to throw in for testing. As for the parking lights it's either a short in the wiring somewhere or the turn signal switch is crapped out on you. Easiest way to test is unplug the turn signal switch from the bottom of the steering column, then replace the blown fuses and turn the lights on. If it pops then you have some wires shorted somewhere if not then it's in the turn signal switch.

Back