• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stupid SYE driveshaft question...

In my humble opinion, I'd go with a TOm Woods Drive Shaft. It's right the first time, Great support and warranty, and I've snapped a pinion, stripped the straps off a yoke, and just 2 weekends ago snapped both u-bolts on my rear and the drive shaft keeps on spinning.

I have an RE driveshaft and its done Ok not as much abuse as DaffyXj but id go with his opinion and get a Tom Woods DS. Worth the money...

When buying a SYE, you can either use your front DS for a short time until your new one comes. but you should measure the driveshaft length needed to get it right. Tom Woods does custom shafts...."cant go wrong with a woody"

My RE Spicer is $294 From the RE Catalog. PM FullSizeXJ for a price quote, he can do a better deal then that.
-Allen

andrew2516 said:
anyone else know if a extended front shaft would work? It will probably just be a temp fix...

I have AX15,NP231 and 8.25 if that matters.

yes you can I have one i am running right now, the stock front driveshaft was about 3 or 4 inches too short so I had the long part completly re-tubed, its gonna run you about 200 to do so. Works great. i have the PORC sye kit and a 8.25 rear and everything bolts right up, the only thing you need if you are doing it yourself is longer driveshaft bolts at the cv joint.

MrShaft696 said:
yes you can I have one i am running right now, the stock front driveshaft was about 3 or 4 inches too short so I had the long part completly re-tubed, its gonna run you about 200 to do so. Works great. i have the PORC sye kit and a 8.25 rear and everything bolts right up, the only thing you need if you are doing it yourself is longer driveshaft bolts at the cv joint.

Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for...are you running about 8" or close? I have a pretty good driveline shop near me that could probably do the work.

DaffyXJ said:
In my humble opinion, I'd go with a TOm Woods Drive Shaft. It's right the first time, Great support and warranty, and I've snapped a pinion, stripped the straps off a yoke, and just 2 weekends ago snapped both u-bolts on my rear and the drive shaft keeps on spinning.
x2
had to have my rear TW shaft shortened, they charged me 75 shipped and that included a new ujoint.......sent it to them dirty they sent it back clean and repainted. I am very impressed.

andrew2516 said:
Thanks, thats the answer I was looking for...are you running about 8" or close? I have a pretty good driveline shop near me that could probably do the work.

no closer to 4", I have a 5sp though if that matters. Measure the distance right now from the output of the tcase to the center of the rear joint and thats a close approximation of how long of a shaft you need. There wont be enough slip yoke contact at that height is usually the case without modification. On tom wood's site it shows you how to measure if you wanna compare shafts from the junk yard, but the auto tranny shafts are longer. If you tell the guys from PORC you are from naxja and saw it on the site for 169.00 they will give you that price too.

Back