• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

replacing U-joints on the front axle shafts. im stumped! help!

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
So i noticed one of my u-joints up front is toast and im trying to replace it. I managed to get the clips off but i cant figure out how the the the joints off. Ive done the ones on the drive shafts but these are nothing like that. can anyone she some light? Pics or a write up would be nice. I hate to think this is something i would have to take to the machine shop for them to do.

Squeeze the U-joint in the vise cap to cap. On the side that is hanging out, hold the axle up level with one hand and hit it downward close to the U joint (pushing the axle down, and the cap up through the hole.)

Take off the cap, flip it over, rinse/repeat. Then after the axle is seperated put the caps back on and switch positions in the vice.

Last edited:
I've found it much easier/time effecient to just go to the local yard and pick up a whole axle shaft. $15 and you have to do a quarter of the work.

But if you want fresh one, do what was recommended above.

Squeeze the U-joint in the vise cap to cap. On the side that is hanging out, hold the axle up level with one hand and hit it downward close to the U joint (pushing the axle down, and the cap up through the hole.)

Take off the cap, flip it over, rinse/repeat. Then after the axle is seperated put the caps back on and switch positions in the vice.

wont that damage the ears or something?

I've found it much easier/time effecient to just go to the local yard and pick up a whole axle shaft. $15 and you have to do a quarter of the work.

i wish they were 15 bucks here... i would have gone right away.

I used sockets, big one underneight so the cap can slide out and smaller one on top to push it down. I used a press and in a vise with a hammer.

it took me probably 3 hours to get a original ujoint out of my shafts, the end of the cap blew out!, they were just a little seized in there, and i was using a press, heat, hammers, vice!! But the other side presesed right out.

Easy with the presses. I've found hammers to be a lot safer and less prone to bending the "tabs". Find a socket that fit's real nice or you're gonna be smashing the heck out of the caps and then you're screwed.

Seriously? They are $75 a piece here. Wanna ship me some if I send you some cash?

Hammer + vise always worked for me.

Spray some PB in there, chisel out the clips, and smash em loose. I've never warped an ear and I've done a ton of u-joints (driveshaft and axleshaft).

I don't like the press method, the hammer helps break up the rust.

Hammer + vise always worked for me.

Spray some PB in there, chisel out the clips, and smash em loose. I've never warped an ear and I've done a ton of u-joints (driveshaft and axleshaft).

I don't like the press method, the hammer helps break up the rust.

x2

but i did break a yukon alloy shaft with this method because yukon shafts suck

I have found with numerous ujoints that I've replaced that they work themselves out fast by hitting the shaft with a hammer rather than the socket and hammer method directly on the ujoint caps. I place everything in a vice and hit the shaft near the ujoint and it will work its way up toward me.

A few things I've found with ujoints: with the vice method, don't attempt to tighten down on any part of the shaft/ ujoint assembly. Open it up just far enough that one of the axle shafts drops down in the middle. That way the other axle shaft is resting on the jaws of the vice. Then go to town with the BFH trying not to smash the dust shield, tone ring, etc.

Ball joint/ ujoint presses. They work great on brand new, non rusty stuff, but the problem is as the press tries to push the ujoint out, it is simulaneously trying to squeeze the ears together and can easily deform the yoke. If there's any rust at all I go straight to the vice, but again, don't clamp down with it.

A few things I've found with ujoints: with the vice method, don't attempt to tighten down on any part of the shaft/ ujoint assembly. Open it up just far enough that one of the axle shafts drops down in the middle. That way the other axle shaft is resting on the jaws of the vice. Then go to town with the BFH trying not to smash the dust shield, tone ring, etc.

That's what I do. Two blocks of wood (2x4) work great if there's no vise. Smack the base of the top ear with a hammer and the cap comes right out. I learned it from someone years ago who said Mr. Tom Wood showed him how to do it. :) 6" c-clamp and a socket to put things back together, with a small amount of loctite on the cap surfaces. ;)

Back