• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

re trackbar movment

rufus_1111

NAXJA Forum User
i have the 1660 track bar and i noticed the other day that my xj was steering funny and making a clunking noise when turning. i notice the joint in the HD braket on the frame side moves 1/4in both ways when the wheel is turned in either direction. is that normal? if not how can i fix it?

ive got the same problem, tightened it from all angles and added the optional brace across the front "frame rails" still had the problem ended up welding it along the front edge of the bottom, not it only moves a hair so im gonna have to go back and weld it all around the bottom edge of the mount

Check to make sure the bolt is good and tight. If it is you might have to tighten the flex joint collar or replace the bushings.

ive got the same problem, tightened it from all angles and added the optional brace across the front "frame rails" still had the problem ended up welding it along the front edge of the bottom, not it only moves a hair so im gonna have to go back and weld it all around the bottom edge of the mount

x2

Darn near every one I've seen ends up getting welded to the unibody. Mine did the same thing but stopped once it was welded. ;)

its not the braket that is moving that is tight. its the joint that moves inside the braket

Sorry, I missed 'joint' in the first post, lol.

Mine did the same after a wheeling trip...and it turned out to be the bolt broken off inside the ball end. Upon taking it apart I found that the bolt had seized inside the joint, the bolt broke, and figured out that bolt was a major POS. I got a real bolt and replaced the ball in the joint since it was useless. I threw away the RE bolt that came with the new joint since I didn't want a repeat. ;)

its not the braket that is moving that is tight. its the joint that moves inside the braket

Are you saying the mounting hole is egged out?

If so, just cut some steel and drill the proper size hole in it and then weld it to the bracket.

the hole in the braket is fine when i watch it nothing moves just the joint in the bracket moves side to side like the joint is worn out. so i guess i need a new joint. where can i find a replacement

If the spherical joint is moving in the bushing cradle....1-it needs adjusting....or 2-it needs rebuilding.

If the joint is worn you will need this from RE:
small control arm tool part number RE3771

85.jpg

and this to rebiuld the joint. Sometimes you can just tighten the joint with the tool and be ok.

small race part number RE3798

race.jpg

Dont forget to remove the set-screw first.And since I dont know were your located,use lots of PB(or the likes) beforehand and lots of anti-seize afterwards.Ive got RE joints on all my rigs(almost 10 yrs on the oldest set) and have yet to rebuild one,but I grease them before every trip!

Back