• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best 8" Coil?

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to be setting up my jeep to run around 8" of lift and just wondering what coils you guys like the best...

I'm pretty sure I'm going to be running the RK long arm setup...and I have been thinking about going with Skyjacker coils, but I thought I would ask around a little before I get them.

i have them and like them they are the only think skyjacker i would buy... i do not know the lbs. they are set at but they are soft and very flexy... the rustys are priced a little lower i think

The SkyJacker is a very good rate, the stiffest of any manufacturer at 240#/in. The perfect rate for a 6-8" lifted XJ>

bigwillxj said:
Have you seen the new Rubicon Express 7.5" coils?

My rear will be sitting close to 9"...I don't think 7.5" front coils will work out unless they sit higher than listed like most RE stuff does.

In the rear I'm going to be using 7.5" Skyacker springs and the RR Shackles I already have on the jeep that give 1.5"

I had skyjackers and I liked them, they didn't feel overly stiff. I think my next set is going to be Rubicon Express. My problem is I'm doing long arms up front and I don't want my Jeep's rear end to lack travel compared to the front end which is going to flex like crazy. I still havn't decided for sure, but I also am looking for a 6-6.5 front coil that performs well. I trail ride in tight woods with lots of off camber, ruts and some rocks. I've heard good things about RE and Skyjacker.. not sure, I think the Rock Krawlers may be too soft.

andrew2516 said:
Thanks guys!....I think I'm going to go with Skyjacker just because we do a lot of hills and off camber situations here and I would like more stability in the front.

If this is the case, why are you going so high? What size tire are you going to be running? And yes you will definately want to balance out the rear, so a stiff spring and possibly an anti-swaybar to try and match the stiff ~9" lifted rear you are going to run.

dude, if you are going to only run 36"s there is really no reason to go that high. Your in PA, probably gonna be running PAP, rausch creek, etc. type wheelin, right? Just go to 5-6" and trim your fenders. I am at 5.5" of lift, run 35's and trimmed to fit 36" or 37" easily, but not until I do the 1 ton swap.

I've got 6" now...I could trim to fit 35"s and still be able to flex...but a 36" or 37" is defanitly pushing it. What 5.5" lift do you have?

Heres the jeep right now...
IMG_1973.jpg

I have a 2.5 year old RE HD 5.5" short arm drop bracket lift. From your pic you definately could do a little more trimming. And remember bump stops are your friends. I made a set of rear bump stop plate extensions and increased my fronts beyond the ones that come with the kit. I tuck both front and rear very well. I am also running tj flares. By the looks of it, you should trim the fronts more and possibly the upper part of the rear. When I did my rear, I did like everybody else, pie cut and fold, using a BFH. Probably opened it up more than most, but it works.

I'm already pretty limited with my flex, with 36"s and 6" of lift...I would have to bumpstop like mad to keep those tires off of the flares even if I did trim a lot.

It does flex a little more than this...but this was in 2wd...I didn't have the front driveshaft in at the time.
daf9efee.jpg

9aa2d82b.jpg

I ran 35's with a ton of flex on 7.5" lift and the fender flares still in the stock location. You can definitely trim to get clearance for all the flex you can use without going so high. Now, I'm at the same lift with 37's, same flex, with more trimming.

BTW, I've run both the RE and the Skyjacker coils. I liked the RE, but now I really like the Skyjacker. I finally have the stability that I want, the ability to handle more speed, and it still stuffs to the bumpstops. Mine are a little stiffer, since I cut one coil off the 8" SJ's and have my coil perch raised 2" on the axle.

Back