• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fender flares and state laws...

mikeny59

NAXJA Member #300
ok, going to be driving up and down I95 on a fairly regular basis. been doing major preventive maintenance on my '98, new question:

been driving around for at least a year minus left front oem fender flare because of procrastination of some minor bodywork. 31's stick out maybe 1.5 to 2", with correct backspaced rims for this tire size. Kinda like the naked look, thinking about removing other three flares and just throwing some bolts in the holes, and finish off w/some 3M undercoating.

then I remember that some states prohibit tires sticking out x amount, is there one source to find out what states on the eastern seaboard have these laws without searching for gosh knows how long? (ny to fl.)

thank you,

I lived in florida with my xj on 33s and probably 4 inches of wheel stickin out beyond the fenders. Never had a problem. I now live in NC with the same setup and no problems for me here too. I guess it depends on whether or not the cop doesnt like you or had a f'd up day. But never had a problem (knock on wood).

Sorry googled it and came up short. I can tell you that in Oregon the tread of the tire can't be sticking out past the fender well. However I see quite a few rigs that violate that law, including several of mine everyday. Things may be different on your side of the country, but around here most cops wouldn't bother with just that. I have known a few that had hard-ons for tinted windows and lifted trucks with big tires though. Just keep the flares in the garage, so if you get a ticket you can throw em back on to go see the judge.

I just failed safty yesterday because of flares and mudflaps. The law here in Utah is that the flare needs to cover all of the tire. And if the flare/body does not come down to the center of the hub you need to put on mudflaps that cover the width of the tread, and comes down to the center of the hub.

I failed because I have about 3 inches of tire sticking out and the rear mudflaps didn't cover the whole width of the tread. They also said I have to have mudflaps on the front. My plan is to nigger-rig some sort of extention for my flares and add mudflaps to the front, get it passed, and take it all off. I don't think I'll be bothered seeing has how all the other jeeps we have at our house have 2-3 inches of tires sticking out and no mudflaps.

Yeah dude, I'm in RI and its a law to have them under the flares.. But I have seen plenty of people without the trucks being like that. Personally, I like the look of flares, so I am just going to cut mine up and make it work somehow.. :laugh:

Lonestar said:
IMy plan is to nigger-rig some sort of extention for my flares and add mudflaps to the front, get it passed, and take it all off.

how eloquent...

I know in fl. they did away with state inspections a couple of years ago, that's one reason I want to drive the xj down and register it there like my other car, that one stays there.

You're probably right about a cop having a bad day, you know, it's probably easier to throw one flare back on than pulling off the other three.

Thanks...

This would be a GREAT FAQ. Lift laws (basic rules) and fender flare laws for every state. Illinois laws on lift are based on bumper height. Flares aren't a biggie as far as I've seen in Illinios. I have no flares, stick out 4" plus and have never been pulled over.

Then again, many PD, run your plates FIRST, check your age and residence before pulling you over. Being 49 helps... if I were 18 however??

I'm in my late forties also, but if you saw the bumper stickers on my xj, you'd think I was twelve. Anyways, about one year ago I sent I think three bucks to NYSDMV to get a copy of current vehicular traffic law, wanted to know about tire chain legalities (not for the xj... well partly, maybe - still have not installed tads yet ;(

Never bothered looking for flares, but I bet each state has their own version of the book. NY's was about 5 x 4 x maybe 2 inches thick, gotta dig it out.

Good suggestion...

Last edited:
Some state's might differectiate between 'fender flares' and 'mud flaps' so you've got to read the law's for your state. Goto NewYork's DMV site and try searching under 'Automobile regulations'. I found all the law's concerning Lightplacements, Window Tinting, Driving laws, Ect. for Maine State law's being that I just moved here so it was wise to see what would pass. Assuming your ride is regestered in NewYork, Im not sure many troopers from other state's would write you up for simply passing through on the interstate.

MD is not more that 1" outside but i am running 33's on 4.5bs wheels and they are about 4-5" out and no cop has cared but stste troopers on 95 are a different story. it probably wont happen unless you get pulled over for something else though, then you will probably get a inspection thing, and then you will need to get them :)

You know, I just realized that the neighborhood assn. by-laws of the silly-a$$ community we bought the house in does not allow "suv/truck type vehicles with oversize tires" - or some wording like that, can't even park a regular car on the street at night. And I pay for that privelege :banghead:

I'd have to keep it in the garage if I drove it down there. Screw it, don't need the headache, flares stay on, xj hides 24/7 :shhh:

I dont know what the law is here in British Columbia but before the whackers went on with 3.63" backspacing on my 32s" I got pulled over many times. I had the flares in the back and a ticket the first time so i was a matter of explaining I am fixing the problem and have a ticket already (I was given 30 days to fix it and was pulled over 5 times in one week. 3 times in three days and twice in one day for it) Anyhoo after the whackers I received another warning to fix it cause there was 1/2" of rubber mabe 1" in the front sticking out so I made some lawn edgeing extensions for it. they just affix using double sided tape and I only put them on is I get hassled... so you could do that

in pa tires cant stick out from the fender flares and the fender flares can be wider than 3 inches for inspections

Food for thought. How are these Fenderless 30's somethin hot rods go down the road without a glovebox full of fix it tickets? :confused:

rmm727 said:
in pa tires cant stick out from the fender flares and the fender flares can be wider than 3 inches for inspections

Yeah, so stock TJ Rubicon's and Sahara's are illegal because their stock flares are about 4". :looney:

pottenger said:
Food for thought. How are these Fenderless 30's somethin hot rods go down the road without a glovebox full of fix it tickets? :confused:

i know in pa you can get a "special" title, if the vehicle was built or modified that way, and it passed that way, then it is allowed to drive that way. problem would just be getting it to pass. which in my state is probably a big problem because i dont recall the last time i saw a vehicle like the one in your avatar anywhere around here but on drag strip

Billfaceeee said:
Some state's might differectiate between 'fender flares' and 'mud flaps' so you've got to read the law's for your state. Goto NewYork's DMV site and try searching under 'Automobile regulations'. I found all the law's concerning Lightplacements, Window Tinting, Driving laws, Ect. for Maine State law's being that I just moved here so it was wise to see what would pass. Assuming your ride is regestered in NewYork, Im not sure many troopers from other state's would write you up for simply passing through on the interstate.

What does differectiate mean? Not pokin fun, just wondering if it's a word i haven't heard of. Did you maybe mean differentiate?

mikeny59 said:
is there one source to find out what states on the eastern seaboard have these laws without searching for gosh knows how long? (ny to fl.)
I found a good site for this kind of question a few months ago, when I became curious as to where it was legal to drive doorless (see this thread). You should be able to find what you're looking for here: http://findlaw.com/11stategov/. Hope that helps.

Back