• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeeky and rough clutch

ocskipper

NAXJA Forum User
1996 2.5L 5 speed, I think its the AX-15. When i lightly push in the clutch or depress it all the way to the floor it squeeks, kinda sounds like a belt...fan clutch?? The other issue is that first and second gear shutter and shake into gear. I can finesse it going really slow but anything close to a regular take off and it clunks into gear. 155000 miles...new clutch?

Your trans is an AX-5, the 15 was used with the 4.0. Just for info, you can upgrade to the AX-15, Advanced Adapters makes two kits depending on the external/internal slave.

Ok, shuddering is the clutch friction disc chattering on the flywheel. The squeeking is likely the throwout bearing, but could be as simple as a dry clutch pedal.

By the way, what lubrication are you running in the box?

I am unsure of the lubricant being used (if any at all) Where would i apply it? The squeeking is for sure comming from inside the clutch/tranny. I got under the car and listened. Its not the pedal.

I am unsure of the lubricant being used (if any at all) Where would i apply it? The squeeking is for sure comming from inside the clutch/tranny. I got under the car and listened. Its not the pedal.

Well, if it was the pedal itself at the pivot point WD-40 would do the job. I'm pretty sure you have the concentric hydraulic throw out assembly so other than pulling the trans and putting some grease on the input shaft there isn't much to do.

What oil are you running in the transmission?

Another "I dunno"...

What would fixing the shuddering consist of?

New friction disk, cover, and depending on the flywheel you can scuff it up, or if it has blue heat spots you could try and have it surfaced, although Chrysler says it shouldn't be.

Resurfacing the flywheel in the XJ is a crap shoot. Some have done it w/o problems, others have reported that there clutches don't work correctly, and the fix for that seems to be aftermarket clutch MC with larger bore pistons and more travel. Do some searching and make up your own mind.

All of that said, if you are going to pull it apart do the whole thing.

Back