• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driving & offroad lights, school me please

knucklehead 61

NAXJA Forum User
looking to add some better headlights for my 2000 xj, as well as a pair of driving lights & backup lights both mounted to my roof rack.
what brand, model, wat6ts, color, etc. should i look at?
where is the best place (read: cheapest) to buy them?
thanks! :cheers:

The best thing you can do before shelling out the cash for headlights is to make a new headlight wiring harness. The stock setup only puts out about 9 volts to the lights. Make a new headlight harness and let them get the full 12v they deserve and it will be much much better. Here is the diagram I used to make mine. Only thing I did different was I ran power right from my battery instead of the alternator. And I got the light signal for the relays(#86 on the relay) at the factory headlight plugs instead of going back to the switch itself.
relaycircuit.jpg

for reverse lights I have my stockers and I added two small lights on my factory rear cross bar controlled by a switch(controlling the ground side of a relay). So a few ways to wire them.

first is the way I did it by just an extra switch, not on the same circuit as the factory lights. It is fully controlled by me
relay2.jpg

second is tied to come on with the factory lights or by a switch....on the same circuit. But via the switch can also be controlled by the driver at any time.
AuxReverse.jpg

third is just to come on with the factory lights all the time. i.e. no manual control. will only come on when you are in reverse
AuxReverse2.jpg

I added some PIAA 520 ATPs to my roof rack and they are awesome. Nice spread and bright as hell. I put some cheapie 55w work lights on the rear of the rack and they do a damn fine job of lighting up behind me.

I have hell 500 on my front bumper and they work great. Then some 2 250 on my roofrack but they arnt that great I want to put 4 500s up there. Then I have a set of back up lights mounted to the hitch. Cheap ones from autozone and they work great. Only wish I would of bought driving not fog.

Back